[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - B&D Stone Holders - Repairing the Bronze bushing

B&D Stone Holders - Repairing the Bronze bushing

Place to post other shop equipment ideas or something you made and u'd like to share?

Postby pablo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:15 pm

My lathe at the shop is in sad shape. Everthing on it is wore out. I can do some things with it.
Did B&D ever make replacement bronze bushing's for their Stone Holders? The THRD. size is 9/16-16. If you were to make one up you would have to single point it.
pablo

Postby pablo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:18 pm

I also have thought about using a pilot with a .385 Dia. top and resizing the bushing.
pablo

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:13 am

Pablo,

I here what you are saying but fo me a reinvestment in pilots is far more than even a new stone holder from goodson at over $200. US.

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby Scott H » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:32 pm

Perhaps a die like this would be a start.

Then you would need a good reamer to finish to size.
Scott H

Postby pablo » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:41 pm

Yeah man, that die is a good start. Very affordable.
I'll look for some Mat'l. Maybe Enco or AV&V valves etc.
I think reaming then finishing with a pin hone would be the ticket.
I agree with Rick that the cost of new pilots is not the way to go.
Thanks Scott!!
pablo

Postby bruce » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:51 pm

The big thing in making holders is going to be keeping the thread concentric with the bore. Course you true the stone each time it's installed on the holder.

Personally I'd single point the thread 3/4 depth(?) to get it concentric and chase it with the die to finish if you are not skilled in threading full depth to a shoulder. Then drill/ream the arbor hole to size.

The hex in the holder could be sourced from a socket head cap screw of like size. Would solve the hex broaching problem.

This all assumes making a new holder . . .
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Scott H » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:09 pm

Pablo,

You are welcome. I looked for bronze all-thread, but no one seemed to have any in stock for 9/16 unf. Bruce mentioned a shoulder on the bushing which would rule out all-thread anyway. Its too bad an over sized bronze guide liner couldn't be used. Something like the K-Line sleeve.
Scott H

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:13 pm

Pablo,

Best to do this all in one shot on a lathe, bore, press in new guide drill ream then cut threads. It would be dead on.

This blank guide will work perfect.

Where do you live,

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby pablo » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:27 am

I agree with you on the one time setup in the lathe. The bushing in the stone holder looks like it threads in to me. Is the bushing pressed in??
Also I mentioned this to Bruce awhile back. I'm working on a radius attachment concept. This Gizmo would screw on the to B&D stone dresser. I have the newer style, type "D".
It would be a concept copy of a "Clearview" radius wheel dresser but much smaller and alot simpler. Less parts etc.
Check out www.kuhntool.com. This will give you a idea of what I'm getting at. Pic's and Cartoons are worth 1000's of words.
This would allow me swing a 10mm rad. on the stone. Last step. After grinding the 45 Deg. cut on the exhaust seat.
I live Hickory, NC. by the way.
pablo

Postby bruce » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Sketches:
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Next one:
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Greg » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:13 pm

Hi guys,

It is really easy to make carriers the same, just clutchless which really makes very little difference. if you drill, then bore, then ream or hone the pilot bore and cut the thread in the same setup it is plenty concentric enough given the stone is dressed to the pilot bore.

If you're worried about cutting the thread against a shoulder, you can get a 9/16 nut and pre-bore half the thread out. Cut the thread leaving a bit for safety and screw the nut on once you've cut the thread and turn it all concentric and face it. you can do it all in the same setup if you machine the nut first.

My setup uses a slotted ball drive which is way simpler to make if you wanted to go that way, I can post up some photos if you're interested. I also have a Wolf (I think) setup here if anyone wants it for free, I think there is 2 carriers and some stones, it uses the hex drive. I don't know what postage would cost but i can't imagine a lot.

Cheers,
Greg.
Greg

Postby Moriniman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:21 am

If you don't want to thread up to a shoulder, thread away from it!

Use a tool upside down behind the work and run the lathe backwards (be caeful if you have a threaded spindle!).
Paul Compton
Moriniman

Postby pablo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:32 pm

Got the B&D stone holder apart and removed the bronze bushing sleeve.
Hey anybody on the forum use the Kwik-Way ball brg. stone holder??
pablo

Postby bruce » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:34 pm

I have a B&D ball brg holder that I use?
bruce
Site Admin

Next

Return to Other DIY shop equipment