[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Sun engine analyzer?

Sun engine analyzer?

Place to post other shop equipment ideas or something you made and u'd like to share?

Postby bruce » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:59 pm

So I'm at an auction today and I picked up an older Sun engine analyzer for a few bucks. Anyways my thoughts on this item was to use it while running one of my engines on the dyno to watch the ignition system, not all the time just to help in diagnostics. My engines are single cyliner and the unit only goes down to 2 cylinders I would assume the my rpm indication would be off on this unit, which is not a problem since the dyno has a digital tach.

Any comment on my thoughts? Am I off "my rocker"?
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby larrycavan » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:16 pm

Off your rocker? ....No further than the rest of the gang I'd say :D

It certainly can't hurt to have a look at what's going on in the spark system. What kind of ignition system is on those units? What are the rules limitations? Are those motors large bores? Can you benefit from a dual plug setup in the heads?

Just thinking outloud...

Larry C
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:58 pm

I run a homebuilt crank triggered ignition using mostly GM HEI parts. I plan on testing on my dyno (when its finished) dual plugs along with various other ignition parts. I want to see the difference if any between the HEI and a standard coil. Most of our engines run a point/coil setup so hopefully the analyzer will be a good addition to my testing.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby larrycavan » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:55 pm

Here's a little something I'll pass along on.

On 4 cyl bikes with dual coils and 180 cranks, the coil fires both plugs at once. One just fires harmlessly on exhaust stroke and the other is firing on compression.

When they fire, one plug fires groundstrap to center electrode and the other fires center electrode to ground strap.

Now I don't have any idea if that information is worth a hill of beans to you but I thought it was interesting to note that one plug's firing path is reversed....

Larry C.
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby JRM » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:56 am

JRM

Return to Other DIY shop equipment