Valve Seat Pilots

Place to post other shop equipment ideas or something you made and u'd like to share?

Postby Nick » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:33 am

How muck clearance should there be between the pilot and the stone holder? I picked a used machine and have been giving it the once over and found the stone holder a little more warn than I think is usable. The pilot is fine but there seems to be about 4-6 tho clearance. I would think it only needs 1-2 tho to work right. Is the bushing in the stone holder replace able?

any thoughts?

Nick
Nick

Postby Dom G » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:06 pm

Nick

I think you'll find that .004-.006 is way too much. The stone holder needs to fit the pilot very snugly. The target finished seat concentricity is usually a maximum runout of .001.

Dom
Dom G

Postby head_tech » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:02 pm

[color=#000000]I have had a set of grinding stone and used then for a number of years, used properly they do an excellent job and there is some great advise from those posting before me, one thing to watch though is try and keep the stone clean and free of oils and carbon even off your hands they just don
head_tech

Postby larrycavan » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:12 am

[quote="head_tech"][color=#000000]I have had a set of grinding stone and used then for a number of years, used properly they do an excellent job and there is some great advise from those posting before me, one thing to watch though is try and keep the stone clean and free of oils and carbon even off your hands they just don
larrycavan
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Other DIY shop equipment