Porting  Cabinet

Place to post other shop equipment ideas or something you made and u'd like to share?

Postby hollywood63 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:18 pm

Does anyone have pics of their port table/cabinet? I was thinking of making something along the lines of a sand blast cabinet.
Art
hollywood63

Postby Mousehouse1 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:26 am

I was thinking about building something like this as well. Hopefully someone will have some ideas.

I thought about using some expanded metal as a top and then have some sort of trap underneath it to catch all of the metal shavings. You could make a box and attach a wet/dry vac to help pull all of the shavings down into the trap or wet/dry vac.
Mousehouse1

Postby Thomas Vaught » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:49 pm

The one that some porting companys use has a vacuum chamber built into the table and uses removable plates to seal a slot. If you need to port for example an intake port a section of 1-1/2" hose (with one end attached to a plate) replaces a solid plate covering the slot. The hose goes where you need it in the port and it also has a light built into the assembly that help
you see as you are grinding on the port.

Most of the porting is in a sealed room with filtered pressurized air replacing the suctioned
air. Face masks and filtered breathers are mandatory.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby Mousehouse1 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:13 pm

Hopefully this works. I attached a couple of pictures of a porting bench I am building. I am going to add a wet/dry vac attachment to the bench before it is finished. I am about 80% done. I plan on installing expanded metal and a solid top over that. The solid top will have hinges attached so I can open and close it. It will serve as a porting/work bench.

Mousehouse1

Postby hollywood63 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:37 am

What I ended up doing was had my son make a cabinet that looks like a sand blast unit. I wanted something enclosed because of the mess. I will post some pics later
hollywood63

Postby Mousehouse1 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:05 pm

I might add side panels to catch and direct everything towards the bottom of the bench. It is a work in progress and someday will be finished. I had to make something fairly small to fit in the space I have for it.
Mousehouse1

Postby hollywood63 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:44 pm

Mouse is that a welding lens attached to your wand? If so where did you get it and how does it work?
Art
hollywood63

Postby Mousehouse1 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:28 pm

I bought it off of ebay a few years ago. I use it occasionally. I mainly use my helmet when I weld but thought I would buy one of the shields to see if it would work. It does ok but you can't get in corners and a few other places when using it. I think it cost around $8-$10.

It would be good for someone that doesn't weld much and doesn't want to buy a welding mask/shield. I bought a new miller auto darkening shield and will be taking the small shield off of my gun. My old shield stopped working so that is why I put the small one on the gun.
Mousehouse1

Return to Other DIY shop equipment