[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Valve Grinding Equipment

Valve Grinding Equipment

Place to post other shop equipment ideas or something you made and u'd like to share?

Postby 200cfm » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:02 pm

I want to perform my own valve and seat work for my heads. Will be tracking some items on ebay if the bidding is within my budget. What do I have to look out for equipment wise? I know the stude head takes a 11/32" valve and I want to cut seats from 1.500 to 1.900". And be able to put different angles on the valve and around the bowl. And clean up the bowl, etc. The only item I have succesfully won so far is a K-line Valve grinder pilot .341" # KL 5341K I have no experience on this but want to learn because it would offer a savings (I think) and would allow me to experiment more on the flow bench without running to a machine shop 60 + miles away and waiting weeks for service.
200cfm

Postby maxracesoftware » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:59 am

maxracesoftware

Postby 200cfm » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:09 am

Thanks Larry, I like that Neway product cutter description. Will contact them Monday. Made a bid on ebay ($195) and got a win on a used Sioux electric valve seat grinder model 129. Kit appears complete with lots of stones and has a dresser also in the box. Hope it has a manual.
200cfm

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:17 pm

[color=#000000]Tom;

Sioux and Black & Decker were the standards of the industry back in the day 30's through the early 70's. This is a good place to start. If you search the web you should be able to find a manual in PDF form. Goodson is also a good source for supplies and parts. Stone grinding is extremely violent and takes some getting used to, I will recommend that you buy a set of bronze bushings and bounce springs used with the Goodson 3D products only a couple bucks but add a lot of control. If you choose to look for a valve refacer just be careful as the valve stem holding mechanism is the key to repeatability, Goodson and others sell upgraded cullet chucks for the Sioux and Kwikway machines.

Rick

PS. Also if you don
49-1183904562

Postby 49-1183904562 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:05 pm

Tom;

If you do not find them on the net for free I came across this guy looking for parts for my B&D setup.

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby 200cfm » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:38 pm

Thanks, I should have the ebay Sioux stone grinder hopefully in 10 days to see what I got. One never knows for sure til the package arrives. I contacted Neway and they sent me a PDF file on all their cutters. The Small block sbc/ford kit (over $1000.) has 4 cutters along with T handle and pilots, etc.. List says:

cutter 1.500 dia @ 15 X 60 degrees
cutter 1.500 dia @ 31 X 46 degrees
cutter 1.750 dia @ 15 X 60 degrees
cutter 2.00 dia @ 31 X 46 degree

I would think what works for a sbc head would work fine on my head since they both have 11/32 valve stems.

Another PDF file listed a host of cutters and each cutter sells for around $171. And the handle and pilots can be bought individually too. But there was such a long list of cutter choices I couldn't determine what single cutter or two might be required for my exhaust/intake range of say 1.500 to 1.900 seats and angle cuts. Anyone here know? Their Gizmatic valve refacer is $340. and offers 30 and 45 degrees.

And how would the sbc kit offer three angle cuts like a 30/45/60 or 30/45/60/70?

Did a Youtube search and found one video of a Neway cutter on a small lawn engine. Looks simple for a DIY.
200cfm

Postby Moriniman » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:47 am

I was considering the Neway cutters, but was put off for couple of reasons.

I've seen a lot of comments about how difficult it is to cut a perfectly concentric seat because of the bias caused turning the T handle.

It was difficult to cover the seat sizes I needed without buying quite a few cutters. If the body is too big it fouls the comustion chamber. The cost soon mounted up.

I opted for the single blade type and bought from T&S Machines & Tools;

Quite a bit cheaper than Goodson and they were most helpful.
Paul Compton
Moriniman

Postby 49-1183904562 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:30 pm

[color=#000000]Tom;

The true investment and I think Larry C eluded to this in another post is in Solid Carbide Pilots as they are way stiffer than the tool steal, Oh and way more expensive, so you don
49-1183904562

Postby 200cfm » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:36 am

Well I did it again. Just won the bid on a Black and Decker Valve Refacer machine and Valve Stone Grinder (pair). Set me back almost $500 but saw it as an investment for my research and DIY freedom. Christmas has come early here on "black market Friday." :D
200cfm

Postby MrHijet » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:54 pm

MrHijet

Postby 49-1183904562 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:42 pm

Danial;

Yes that is the one I use as it allows you to apply even for down and you turn the cutter.

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby 106-1194218389 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:07 pm

Way back when, when I was a mere lad hee hee.
I actually had an electric driver sort of like a Souix grinder that turned slower and I used that with the neway cutters. I also had a unit that went in my seat and guide machine that I could drive the Neway Cutters with and that worked great. Keep in mind you cannot spin them fast like a stone so be careful. I also saw an adjustable table that looked like it was off of a seat guide machine. It was $500 dollars and it was a link off this forum just in the last couple of days. TNS Machine sound familiar. OH Yeah! it was on this thread last page. See Moriniman's link
John
106-1194218389

Postby 200cfm » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:34 pm

Took delivery of the ebay win Black & Decker Valve Refacer this afternoon. It is very heavy. Got it mounted and positioned on my bench. Spent a couple hours cleaning it up and oiling on clip spring ports. Everything seems ok and main base motor grinder section moves nicely and work base motor also runs fine. Collar to hold the valve is tight. No oil in the oil pump container so will try and get some cutting oil tomorrow at Napa. Valve refacer wheel seems new and is nice and smooth. Don't think it needs dressing. The end wheel (for valve stem tip grinding) has a very ruff looking stone attached. Shouldn't that stone be fine grain like the valve seat cutting stone or should it be ruff?

Working motor head pivots nicely and can lock on 90, 75, 60, 45, and 30 degree notches. The model number is: NWA

Very old but runs fine and built like a tank. I would guess it is a 50 or 60 year period. Anyone know? Can I stll get stones for this model. The stones are smallish in diameter. Will try and get some photos up this weekend.

The other box had the stone grinder. It too is a B & D. Motor runs fine on the grinder and about 5 stones are in ok shape. Rest look abused. Has 4 stone holders in the box with what looks like a shock heat sink design. End size is 9/16-16. No pilots were found. So I need what, a 11/32 guide pilot right. What size does the top end have to be? It has to go into the stone holder.

Does the pilot lock into the guide? What is an expandable pilot? I am tracking an expandable Sioux 11/32 expandable pilot on ebay. Would that work on a B & D driver?

My first real machine shop tool parked next to the forum flow bench. Life is Good!
200cfm

Postby bruce » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:25 pm

Let me have a look tomorrow in my shop for extra pilots. I have a B&D grinder, I might have duplicates. Extra wheels, stones and pilots can be purchased at
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 200cfm » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:58 am

Ok, thanks. Have been on the phone most of the morning and no place in Richmond has valve refacing cutting grinding oil. Can only get thread cutting oil. What kind of cutting oil do I need?

Got a referal to the MSC Supply and their website lists a lot of cutting fluids. Would Mobilmet 404 work? Or Rustlick WS-5050? Tech lady referred me to a long list of cutting and tapping fluids but wasn't sure of what to recommend. Only need a quart in volume or a gallon, not 5 gallons or a barrel. Napa didn't stock anything either.

What is being used. Don't want to screw up the stone with the wrong stuff. Thanks.
200cfm

Next

Return to Other DIY shop equipment