[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Valve Grinding Equipment

Valve Grinding Equipment

Place to post other shop equipment ideas or something you made and u'd like to share?

Postby bruce » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:16 pm

Transmission fluid is what I use in mine
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 106-1194218389 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:33 pm

Another alternative is also water soluble oil or crankshaft grinding fluid which is also water based. Oils, such as Bruce has mentioned work nice and I liked them, I just did not like having oily rags all over the shop. I am paranoid about spontaneous combustion, especially the human kind. I fully expect my wife to walk in sometime and find a pile of ashes where I was sitting the night before. :;):

John
106-1194218389

Postby 200cfm » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:50 pm

Transmission fluid! I would never have guess it. Yeah, I got that on the shelf here. Great, will add some to it this evening and start the "grind." thanks for the tip. Lot cheaper too.
200cfm

Postby bruce » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:24 pm

Beware the "mist" that comes off the wheel when grinding, only thing I do not like! I used the water soluble cutting fluid and it always evaporated between grindings. I think I got the idea of trans fluid on Speedtalk. I also use it for grinding Ti valves.

I have an extra new B&D 11/32 arbor, I'll send it along with your velocity probe (that I did not ship yet) . . . see always a reason to procrastinate :D
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 86rocco1 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:33 pm

86rocco1

Postby Scott H » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:43 pm

The Sioux pilots are roughly 0.385" dia. at the drive end IIRC. Are the B&D pilots the same size as Sioux?
Scott H

Postby 106-1194218389 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:03 pm

You should never procrastinate! And I will tell you why tomorrow
106-1194218389

Postby bruce » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:13 pm

Well it's good I did or Tom would be paying for shipping for a 11/32" pilot for his B&D grinder :laugh:

B&D pilots are .375" top
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 106-1194218389 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:05 pm

I'll check my Sioux pilots when I get home.

John
106-1194218389

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:03 pm

[color=#000000]I use either type F ATF or power steering fluid as that is what was recommended to me for doing Ti valves years ago. What I have found about water soluble is that after time it goes rancid and smells like some science project from the refrigerator. I have also heard that Honing oil works well too.

Rick

BTW,
The Black and Decker pump is a really weird setup built into the main shaft of the grinder motor. I have had many times where it would not prime after changing fluid, be patient you can also put a little vacuum on the outlet with a piece of hose if it won
49-1183904562

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:07 pm

Oh and if you are new to stones they move fast, use a bounce spring and a couple drops of 80/90 gear lube on the pilot before placing the stone holder on it to grind it will produce smother results.

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby 106-1194218389 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:47 pm

Rick,
You are right about the honing oil. I used Sunnen honing oil from my honing machine and it was really good. You are oh so correct about the water soluble and if you are not using it enough it will get rank. I used it in my crank grinders as it was so cheap, but you had to change it often.
btw, the Sioux pilots that I have are .385" at the top.

John
106-1194218389

Postby 200cfm » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:28 pm

Had a good day here. Spent the afternoon cleaning up more the new toy. Had a spray can color of maroon oil all over it so I stripped it all off down to the base color. Came close to wanting to do a full body appearance restoration but will hold off on that for a cold winter boring day. Fixed the end power plug (no ground) and fixed a missing fluid line to the reservoir. Here she is in all her glory.

View of the first victim

Model NWA: How old, anyone know?

Pumping first fluids, transmission fluid

IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/Duocento/BDValveRefacer1stGrind002.jpg[/IMG]

Finished Product. Do I turn it 90 degrees to add some margin thickness?

200cfm

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:37 am

[color=#000000]Tom,

It
49-1183904562

Postby 200cfm » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:01 pm

Ok, the number on the current wheel (pink) is CAT No. 33058. It measures about 2.500" diameter. The shaft or arbor is 7/16 with a 3/4 nut. I think this wheel might belong on the stem grind side. Yes, that gray wheel is very ruff and abused, definitely the wrong wheel there. I found what I think is the diamond cutter in the drill grinder box. Thought it was the dresser for the drill grinder but after seeing your photos it is the dresser for the refacer. It want reach the current pink wheel so that wheel is not the correct diameter. Looks like it would take a 4 inch wheel. Can't find a 7/16 arbor wheel on the Goodson site. Looks like I have a parts problem here.

Any suggestions? I will do a intake valve today and see how it looks.

Do the same wheels that do stellite valves work for grinding stainsteel valves? My race valves will be stainless steel. Thanks for the feedback help.

B & D Grinder, no springs are in the box. Wheels are dirty and need dressing. No dresser found. Looks like the bushing inside the driver is 3/8"

200cfm

PreviousNext

Return to Other DIY shop equipment