[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Valve Grinding Equipment

Valve Grinding Equipment

Place to post other shop equipment ideas or something you made and u'd like to share?

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:32 am

WPH,

How is the collet setting(Clamping) does your insert have the taper?

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby WPH » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:54 pm

EDIT:

Insert has the same angle as collet, 16 degrees total (accuracy as per the lathe degree scale, didn't have anything more accurate way to do it).

I'd say the mainshaft has exactly the same kind on taper as per B&d grinders, at least it looks a lot like the one I have at work. Kind of a four piece "spring" collet, 8-11mm range. ER25 has a different angle on the "nose", it's not as steep. I just finished the trial assembly of the new mainshaft components and was surprised how small the run-out was. I did the centering with a dial indicator and the lowest reading was 0.03mm, average being 0.05-0.07mm. I didn't re-bush the shaft holder but I used a thin, concave washer which pre-loads the thrust setting pretty nicely. I think that re-bushing could possibly half the current run-out (which can also be quite big if you don't set the valve properly). I'll add couple of pictures as soon as I upload them to Photobucket.
Pekka
WPH

Postby WPH » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:41 pm

Run-out was measured on the edge of 48mm SS valve with the setup below:

Pekka
WPH

Postby 106-1194218389 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:47 pm

So right now you gauge reads .005" run out correct? If this is so then it really is only out .0025" offset and this makes it act like a crank shaft stroke and shows .005".

John
106-1194218389

Postby WPH » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:50 pm

0.05mm, not inches. Quite a difference, and this was the total measured value between high/low.
Pekka
WPH

Postby 106-1194218389 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:27 pm

Oh yeah much different. That is only .0019" run out and only .00098 off set. I'd run it :D Sorry for "assume" ing so I guess I made the proverbial donkey out of myself :;):

Good Work!
John
106-1194218389

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:01 am

WPH,

Is it repeatable or do you need to indicte each valve then Grind???

Rick

BTW, Nice first try, you are giving me hope :D
49-1183904562

Postby WPH » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:20 am

Unfortunately, repeatability is the issue. Angle at nose of the mainshaft is steeper than ER collet's. Collet has only a very narrow margin which centers it to chuck face. It kind of "bites" to this surface and the setup goes crooked. I'm thinking of another insert between the ER collet and the chuck, I'll probably get it turned today. Does anyone know the side angle inside the chuck on B&D grinders?
Pekka
WPH

Postby WPH » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:54 am

I managed to measure the angle inside the chuck, its 60deg total, the same as in ER collets. So thats for the theory on narrow margin. I thought this over once more and took a better look inside the chuck. The insert is supported in two points, at the end and in the middle. I have to measure the inner dia of the chuck more precisely and maybe to turn a new insert with even smaller tolerance.
Pekka
WPH

Postby Moriniman » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:27 am

[color=#000000]I've just found myself a Wolf brand valve refacer on ebay UK.

It cost me just GB
Paul Compton
Moriniman

Postby larrycavan » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:10 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby 49-1183904562 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:55 pm

Larry,

Do you have any interest in a J Head Bridgeport virtical mill? I am just finising rebuilding (bearings belts etc) the head on one that i plan on selling. I would offer a reduced price to forum members.

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby 106-1194218389 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:49 pm

106-1194218389

Postby 49-1183904562 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:21 am

John,

Not sure if my motorcycle would pull the trailer :p

But if anyone is in driving distance to Maryland (Frederick) I would work with you.

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby bruce » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:32 am

I'm within driving distance :;):
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Other DIY shop equipment