[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Head Support Stand Off

Head Support Stand Off

Place to post other shop equipment ideas or something you made and u'd like to share?

Postby 200cfm » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:07 pm

I finally got wise and solved a problem that should have been addressed months ago. My heads are iron heavy and it was always difficult to postion it for porting and study, etc. So yesterday I came up with some simple standoffs that not only hold it solid but allow full 360 rotation. Just loosen the end bolt, adjust, and tighten. Made it tall enough to put light under the chamber. The light is a little bulky so down the road I am going to make up a light device that will clamp over the chamber and port entry areas. It works so well I just had to share it. This evening I will be handlapping the valves. Just knocked out number 8 a few minutes ago using the stand off. Looks like it will also serve well for valve spring installation using the spring compressor.

]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/Duocento/HeadStandoffValveLapping005.jpg[/IMG]
200cfm

Postby bruce » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:03 pm

Hey Tom, you're going to get your hat all dirty!!! ???
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 200cfm » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:00 pm

I like my hat. It fits perfect. Every member should order one for Christmas. To keep the forum on line. I finished up this passenger head this afternoon. And found some more uses for the stand off. Here is the current list of applications.

1. porting
2. valve lapping
3. measuring port size (always tricky before because of leveling the water at the top of the port entry). No longer a issue with the stand off legs.
4. chamber cc ing
5. head gunking and washing
6. spray painting the head
7. valve and spring installation / diassembly
8. storage (more room on the shelf when up and locked). And for long storage a towel soaked in WD-40 could offer winter storage protection. Just wrap it up tight like a mummy.
9. port mold making.
10. Epoxy filling. When you want the epoxy to flow into a certain area and settle down or level by gravity.
200cfm

Return to Other DIY shop equipment