[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Valve Guide Servicing

Valve Guide Servicing

Place to post other shop equipment ideas or something you made and u'd like to share?

Postby 200cfm » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:56 pm

Trying to decide if I should DIY the valve guides and if so what basic tools I would need. As I read the Motor Service book at a minimun: (1) Guide remover tool (2) Guide installer (3) 11/32 + reamer (4) knurler 11/32 (5) reamer 11/32

Is that it? Tracking a Keystone 11/32 reamer listing on ebay. Listing says it is adjustable to .005. Never used one so how do you know what adjustment setting it will actually cut? Got outbided on a knurler.
200cfm

Postby coulterracn » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:20 am

"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here"
coulterracn

Postby 49-1183904562 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:38 pm

[color=#000000]Tom,

For a home based setup where you do not have access to a seat and guide machine, or vertical mill you will not be able to replace guides (Whole Valve Guide) unless they have been done before. Factory guides like in your Stude heads are cast in place. Even if they have been replaced I would look into the bronze thread insert guides, for ideas look at Goodson. With this setup you only need the basic kit for install and finish ream & hone. I say hone as I always hone my finished reamed guides so they hold oil better. You can buy a single sized micro hone (abrasive bristle) 11/32 etc for around $30-$35. This process is simple you run a sizing tap through the old guide, screw in the bronze spiral insert then drive the setting tool through and finish size ream. What is ice in your situation is after a couple of seasons racing you can grab the end of the insert and pull is out like an unwound spring. Then re-install new inserts, se and ream to size.

I used to use them a lot but found they did not last long on the street but were great for racers who we often did
49-1183904562

Postby jfholm » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:50 pm

Both Rick and Coulterracn have given good suggestions. I have done both sleeves and spiral bronze guides. You can get a kit to do either right in your garage. You had better have a stout drill though as it takes some grunt sometimes to do the spiral bronze guides. Both ways have their advantages.

after sized with a reamer then using a ball hone like Rick said is a very good idea.

We used to run a Turner Ford with a Cortina 1500 engine and tried running very tight clearances .0005" - after a distance race the clearance would be .0015" to .0025" between valve stem and guide. We were replacing the guides (spiral bronze) every race. Then we were in a hurry one race and left them at the .0015" to .0025" clearance and they never got any looser. Never lost any HP or anything so we just always set them to .002" clearance after that and ran the whole season without having to do the guides.

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby 200cfm » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:08 pm

Ok thanks. I looked at the kit on Goodson. Don't have a spare $500 bill so will have to wait. Will see what a machine shop here might charge me for a knurl and resize.
200cfm

Postby 49-1183904562 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:31 pm

Tom,

If all you are going to do is Knerl and resize you will only get about $150.00 for all the tools to do this. Knurler is $90 reamer $40 and some oil. Its a start, besides I never turn down an oportunity to buy tools :D

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby msj442 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:51 pm

the knurlers i have are knurl/broach tools they knurl and size the guide in one step. work good. also they bronze liner situation is really simple. all my kits just have broachs that you size the liner to after install.i have seen 11/32 kits on ebay for 150.00 if your lucky. the cast guides i have also done without a seat and guide machine.its a unit that holds the drill and reamer square to the seat. they have about .002 press on them. those cast guides wear out kinda fast especially with agressive cams. i have retrofit alot of heads using the nascar titanium valves that you see on ebay for dirt cheap. stems are 7mm and i just turn down the head to whatever size i want, as well as the length. man talk about a nice set of heads on a budget. oops i am rambling again im sorry this is not the subject. easy to go off into left field on something we love.

jmo ,max
msj442

Postby madman » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:30 pm

Many years ago i restored a Hair Pin Spring type old vellocette venom valve stems and the Guides. I reground the valve stems to clean up and then had a winiona guide insert installed, they screwed into place. It worked out very well and i feel not having to remove valve guides in that application was the thing to do. Also i didnt have a clue where to get spare parts, No velocette venom dealers aropund anymore LOL Mike
madman

Return to Other DIY shop equipment