First timers flow observations - No clue yet

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM

Postby GT6Steve » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:51 pm

Greetings,
I'm posting to this section as my questions are so basic and general. I've only been flowing two weeks so I've got a LOT to learn.
Testing only three heads so far, I don't have much yet. But, Both of the "flowed" heads on my 2 liter inline six motor flowed signicantly better than the stock head.

So, The mildly ported big valve stem head flowed better at low lifts, until about .350, and then fell off. The larger port significantly more expensive head flowed slightly less at lower lifts and the about ten percent more above .350 to .500. This was with the manifold and Weber carburetor. The lesser head was much better when bare because the big head started surging around .450. Glad I don't run without carbs!

I guess my question at this point is where should I be looking for flow on a road race motor? As I have these two heads to choose from for the next race.

Down the road, I'm shocked to find about 17 cfm flow on the exhaust at 10" while the intake does about 102 at the same depression.

I'm thinking I should look to improve the low lift flow on the intake and the exhaust should be opened up to provide a ready path for hot gasses. Is the valve diameter more important than the cold flow values regarding the exhaust?

I'm a moron so far so please bear with me...Steve
GT6Steve

Postby SWR » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:09 am

Never mind the lower lifts. Look for midrange and higher lift flow. I don't know how high your cam lifts your valves,but if it's possible,also flow it at much higher lifts than your valves will see in actual operation. The flow should never level out or back up,i.e. you open the valve even more,and the cfm sinks. This is a sure sign the port shape will not handle the higher depressions when the engine run... :)
SWR

Return to General BS