[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Bonneville and Bikes

Bonneville and Bikes

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM

Postby Moriniman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:52 am

On the subject of turbocharging small engines.

I took another look and the Buddfab site;

On a different tack, I've put another bike back on the road recently;

There's a brief road test here;
Paul Compton
Moriniman

Postby slracer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:20 pm

Paul, That is a real motorcycle, no plastic! I also like the scratch marks from the key fob. You don't get those riding slow!! :D The 650 Production Pushrod record at Bonneville is only 97.316 mph (set in '07) with a Triumph. Plan a Holiday!

I was an inspector the first time the Buddfab streamliner came to Bonneville (to the BUB event). They had some "teething" problems, but the bike showed very careful design and build and I told them they were definitely on the right track. All they needed was a supercharger so they would be class legal to take that 50 year old NSU record out of the SCTA-BNI record book. They went faster without the blower, but the Blown Fuel record is still there. I hope they will come back and bump that record soon. You can't set an Official World Record at Speed Week because the organization won't pay for an FIM or FIA "observer". BUB does have the required observer so they broke the Official FIM World Record at that event. Politics! :angry: -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby jfholm » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:01 pm

Doug,
I don't know if I would trust wood at that speed. :;):

It is looking good. I am anxious to see it. Speed week is on my schedule unless something awful comes up.

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby slracer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:53 pm

John, May I remind you the WWII famous deHavilland Mosquito was mostly wood as was the more infamous Hughes Spruce Goose! And both were faster than my planned speeds! :p

Right now, I am looking for a low cost way to fabricate the mechanicals of the system. The five previous versions reused a lot of the wood from the first. I'll have to get "serious" sometime (but not now). :D

I did have an "interesting" conversation with another BV Biker last night which may lead to a simplified version. I'm planning on making some (more) mockup changes tomorrow to see if there is any BIG problem with the new thinking.

I also have to remind you that going to Bonneville for Speed Week is not something you "plan" or "schedule", it requires a commitment! And you are close enough to go home overnight, but then you will miss sunrise on the salt! See you there!

Doug

PS - Made a mockup of the rear brake mount yesterday. Here's what that looks like.
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby Moriniman » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:33 am

Paul Compton
Moriniman

Postby slracer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:12 pm

Hi Paul, I run an '89 Honda PC800 (the white one) on the street. Still want to compare plastic? Mechanicals by Honda, body by Tupperware! The pic isn't mine, not enough scratches!

Current records for 350 pushrod:
Production 90.746 Moto-Morini
Modified Gas 108.106 Harley Davidson
Fuel OPEN (Bring yours out and set a new record)
Modified Blown Gas is only 72+ and there are a series of Partially Streamlined records for both Modified and Special Construction (listed as "A"). Fastest is the MPS-PG (Modified, Partially Streamlined-Pushrod Gas) at 121+

You can find them all here:

Electric bikes are classified based on weight (how many batteries - best bet right now is C cells for power per pound, I kid you not!)

Looking forward to meeting you on the salt! -- Doug
slracer

Postby Moriniman » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:47 am

Paul Compton
Moriniman

Postby slracer » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:33 pm

Ok Paul, If I didn't have the integral saddlebags, you might have gotten me (with both bikes)! But for scoops and vents, the Dart wins!

You might want to consider that Dart for Bonneville. For Production class, you leave the fairing on! It's an "arms-length" comparison for visual vs. showroom so you could fill the backside of the draggier scoops and reduce drag. But remember that Bonneville is at 4500 ft elevation and on a 90*F day, the density altitude approaches 6500 ft. That is a lot of power loss. You are allowed to modify the engine if the mod can't be seen so that can be fixed. And remember, a trophy for my 55+ on a Honda 90 is the same size as one for 240+ on a highly modified 'Busa! :D -- Doug
slracer

Postby jfholm » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:02 pm

Doug,
and you can be just as proud of that trophy because a win is a win is a win!

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby slracer » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:30 pm

Not exactly Bonneville and not exactly a bike, but "Go Fast" anyway. Take a look at if you like things that Go Fast and are different!

Here is a pic to get you to take a look! -- Doug
slracer

Postby emarsh » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi Folks,

I just joined this board and am looking around. Since there seems to be some bike pics (as well as a discussion of turbos) here's a couple of my current rides. The first one is my slow (street) ride.

The second one is my not quite so slow (strip) ride.

Here's the motor for my not so slow ride on the bench.

Here's a pic of one or my rides from about twenty five years ago

Here's a pic that goes back even further of me and my ride in that day

emarsh

Postby slracer » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:57 pm

Eric, Welcome to BV & Bikes BS! Bring your bikes out to the salt and we can race to the 5 mile mark. I figure it MIGHT be close if you spot me about 4 miles for your "slow" bike and more like 4-1/2 with the Hayabusa! :p Where do you run the 'busa? And what kind of speeds/times does it turn? I really see way too many of that bike at Tech Inspection, but yours is one of the cleanest I've seen in a long time! -- Doug
slracer

Postby emarsh » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:33 pm

emarsh

Postby jfholm » Mon May 04, 2009 9:57 pm

I know this is not a bike, but it's got a 172 hp bike engine on a go kart and I WANT ONE!!!!!

John

jfholm

Postby emarsh » Mon May 04, 2009 10:15 pm

emarsh

PreviousNext

Return to General BS