[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Bonneville and Bikes

Bonneville and Bikes

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM

Postby jfholm » Mon May 04, 2009 11:38 pm

Hey Eric,
Let's put your 300 HP motor on a Kart. Now that would be a hoot. When the turbo comes in the driver better have Pampers on!!!

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby slracer » Tue May 05, 2009 12:21 pm

Turbine powered karts can be exciting for both drivers and photographers! Check out this 30 second "blurb". I'm guessing the last scene is what the camera "sees" when the photog is hitting the dirt! Hope there is a good scatter shield between the driver and motor! -- Doug

I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby emarsh » Tue May 05, 2009 12:29 pm

emarsh

Postby slracer » Sat May 16, 2009 10:59 am

Hi all, I actually did some work on the "toy" this week instead of on the yard! I did that too, but snuck out to the shop and played! After fighting with trying to figure out how to make my band saw work on 1/4" AL plate, I got out the jig saw and new blades and hand cut some parts. A good case of cut to suit and file to fit! :D The photo below shows the new motor mounts for my laydown Bonneville bike. I have universal tabs on the frame so I can swap different motors in as I see fit. This one is a "dummy" of the Honda 90 pushrod that I run in the Production class. I won't be racing at Bonneville this year, but I will be ready next year. Just like you John? The long line on the pic is a straight edge that I am using to position the motor properly so the chain is straight. Next task is to make a number of spacers to keep the mounts (and motor) in the right place (right to left). Maybe I can get fired up some more! :D -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby MrHijet » Tue May 19, 2009 8:27 am

[color=#000000]You don't need so much horsepower on a kart. A suzuki GSXR engine is already very nice. The guy who is driving this (against a Viper) is Achim Korten, who is quite famous around the N
MrHijet

Postby jfholm » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:18 pm

To those interested I just received my new Hot Rod Magazine (August 2009 issue) yeah I know, it is only June 9th, go figure.

Anyway there is a really nice article on the Bonneville Salt Flats and it is titled "The Gilmore Roadster" Very nice article!

This issue has a lot of "stuff" that I found more interesting than normal. Article on how you can build a brand new SOHC Ford Hemi motor like the one in the lare 60's with all new parts.

Also a little bit about the new Edelbrock "E-Street" heads for Small Block Chevy and Small Block Ford. From waht I can tell they are very sweet and the price is good at $949.99 for a pair complete with valve and springs and guide plates and studs. These are aluminum heads. Now if I only had $950....

Oh, and I almost forgot there is an article on two AMC Gremilins and an AMC Spirit that are really fast. I like to see cars that are not run of the mill go fast! Are you there Tom? ;-)

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby jfholm » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:41 pm

On the way to work this morning one of these was right next to me most of the way. Ural, Russian motorcycle. Was red just like this one.
John

jfholm

Postby slracer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:19 pm

They used to have one like this with military markings and camouflage! You could still see it driving down the freeways! :D

John, I'm making hotel reservations for the trip to Bonneville and will be in your neighborhood on the morning of Aug 5. If you are around, I'd like to stop and say "HI!". Let me know if that is OK. -- Doug
slracer

Postby jfholm » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:44 pm

That would be great! I just may have to call in "sick" that day. I'll send you my email and phone number in an email.

John
jfholm

Postby slracer » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:29 pm

Email coming with details when I get reservations made! -- Doug
slracer

Postby jfholm » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:20 am

Well I watched "The World's Fastest Indian" last night - I loved it. I highly recommend it. It is about Bert Munroe and his '20's vintage Indian motorcycle that sets a land speed record at Bonneville. The movie reminds me of this forum a lot. A guy out of his garage with little money and lots of ingenuity going fast.

It even shows him casting aluminum in his garage :D

John
jfholm

Postby slracer » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:13 pm

After the movie, read the book! The movie was really a compilation of 8 years of trips from New Zealand to Bonneville. BTW - Burt's record still stands!

Doug
slracer

Postby jfholm » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:37 pm

Here is a web page about it
jfholm

Postby emarsh » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:53 pm

emarsh

Postby jfholm » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:31 pm

Doug and I had our breakfast meeting in Lehi, Utah this morning. I must say Doug (slracer) is one quality guy! I wish he was my neighbor. We talked about everything for three hours. I will go to the Salt next week and spend some more time with him. I hope we can all meet some time as I feel everybody from the forum seems to be pretty darn good people!

Here are some pictures from this morning:

Doug Starting to un crate things to show me in Motel 6 parking lot:

Doug with his front steering assembly:

Doug's front assembly is a Ducati rear training arm:

Steering knuckel that Doug is custom fabricating:

Doug demonstrating how it fits in a wheel:

Another view of wheel and knuckel:

And a close up:

And last but not least, this is NOT his race bike. Just his pit bike ;-):
jfholm

PreviousNext

Return to General BS