[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Bonneville and Bikes

Bonneville and Bikes

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM

Postby jfholm » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:20 pm

Thanks Doug,
I will show this to them. I know the turbo is off of a diesel Smart Car and they had to get it out of Canada.

The engine they have is a 4 stroke so that should help a little. All I know is the valves are darned small.

I was wondering about the ability of the engine to spool up the turbo but I don't know anything about turbos so I kept my mouth shut. I did not want to prove the old addage: "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby blaktopr » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:12 pm

Even though I am into cars, this is my getaway. Not to jack the thread, sorry. Saved it from sitting for 25 years after my father passed. Little paint and elbow grease. Maybe I'll play with the head. :D Back to the thread.

Chris.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby jfholm » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:51 pm

This thread is open to all, Chris, that is why it is called "General BS" :D We are all good at that.

Cool bike. Hey, I noice the "legal" mufflers on that thing. I bet you can really sneak in at midnight with that one.

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby blaktopr » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:16 am

Yeah John, I sometimes hit the "stealth mode" switch comming down the road for the neighbors. :D I took a quick ride once in PA with no helmet and realized how loud it REALLY is! Thats what my dad did to it and thats how it will stay until I decide to build my own exhaust for it. Besides, it gives the bike a little more "character".

Chris
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby slracer » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:09 am

Hey Chris, I would keep it that way too. It looks like a great toy to "throw a leg over"! I'm spending too much time on the race toys and need to get out of here with "Dusty" under me. Do you (any and all of you) name your rides, or am I the only crazy out here?

Speaking of crazies, I was looking at the older posts and a mistake I made jumped off the page and hit me between the eyes. On the turbo map, I asked a question about the "right" side and surge boundary. DUH! I meant my other right, the one on my left side! :p Oh well! -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby slracer » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:13 am

Forgot to add a pic! Have your friends seen this one? I don't know what it came off of, who makes it, or anything else, just found the pic. -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby bruce » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:42 am

Looks like the turbo from a 2-3 cylinder small diesel used in mowers and small tractors?
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby jfholm » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:23 pm

It has been a while since I have been over and looked at the Bloomfields stuff but that looks about like their turbo. I'll have to take a Coke over and measure. :;):

John
jfholm

Postby blaktopr » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Looks a little like the turbo on my friend's Newholland skid steer. I saw it one day and thought about other uses for it.

Doug, if your crazy, then I must be in an insame asylum. For me, riding that bike is like hanging with my dad, I even talk to him. My way of spending time. Funny thing is, he never wanted me on a bike, let alone, his. Here is something "special" though...

Took the bike out to see my mom but stopping at his grave first on his B-Day. The bike wasn't running right, sounded like something in the drivetrain. Rode the GSP at 80 or so MPH for over 30 minutes on and off the throttle. When I got to the cemetery, I checked the bike over. One half of the link was broken off and the other side was getting close. I couldn't believe it didn't kill me. Rode over to a local bike shop a few miles away and got a new chain. Put it on and rode on. On that day I was convinced he was with me when I ride "our" bike. Crazy, huh? ???
Chris.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby jfholm » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:22 pm

Not so crazy Chris. I am a firm believer that those that have gone on before us are closer around us than we think. We just need to be in tune. Spiritually that is. I think that is one reason life is so hectic now and so much happening. Super Bowl, all the sports we see, partying, movies etc. Keeps us out of tune so we don't see those around us who have gone on before us. It does not matter what religion you believe in almost all if not all profess to meditate and have some quiet time. You being alone on your Dad's bike puts your mind in the right frame to make the veil a little thinner and you think of him. Makes it possible to still be close. They still look out after us.

John
jfholm

Postby MrHijet » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:30 pm

I know these small turbos ... Look out for japanese kei cars. All the "turbo'ed" 550cc / 660 cc K-Car class cars in Japan do have such small turbos. They would easily fit (from the size perspective) to a bike.

Daniel
MrHijet

Postby slracer » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi all, Way back in Nov I mentioned my "Gen 3" bike. Straight from the factory here is a first pic! I spent a week with a friend of mine and tacked the frame together so I could start to mount things (like the engine, suspension, etc). It is a full "laydown" and has enough room in the engine compartment to put in other toys. The first engine will be the 100cc pushrod Honda and will be running in Special Construction class at Bonneville: 100-AG. Later plans include a Partially Streamlined fairing; 100-APSG and maybe some "fuel" runs. Then, when I can get the little bitty blower working, Blown Fuel! Now, if the thought of a 100cc pushrod engine with a blower on nitro doesn't make you "giggle", you have NO sense of humor! -- Doug

PS - The front end isn't on yet, but the mockup is complete and I have working concept for a centerhub steering setup. Now to get some parts machined.
slracer

Postby bruce » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:10 pm

"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby larrycavan » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:38 pm

Nice work Doug
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby slracer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:08 am

Thanks Larry! It is becoming FUN again! I've seen too many cookie cutter bikes called "Special Construction". This one will turn some heads (now if I can just get some speed out of it!). :p The pic below shows the steering assy at full turn (with the wheel removed for clarity). Visualize an axle coming out the center of the "hub". The circular piece to the rear fits inside the (empty) brake drum. The little doughnuts top and bottom are Heim fittings. Time to make some better drawings!

Bruce, it is actually grey, but the light makes it look brown. When they moved us out of our El Segundo facility into a partially vacant Seal Beach building, the furniture wasn't needed as the new building was full. They sold all the stuff in the old place to employees (first call) and surplus. Those cabinets (there are 3 total) are Steelcase with keys and cost me $10 each! I didn't get the 7 foot drawing board with power lift for $200 as I had no place to put it then (and wouldn't have for 12 years). I had done a lot of presentations with local schools so they asked me if the school my wife worked for would be interested before they went public. the school sent a truck and carted out $80,000 worth (at surplus prices, nearly 10 times that new). I was a hero with the school for a while after that! :D Now if I could figure how how to organize enough to get everything off the workbench and into some of those drawers! As for ingenuity, you have to come to Bonneville! It's the most fun you can have (standing up). -- Doug
slracer

PreviousNext

Return to General BS