Maxracesoftware PipeMax & Linux

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM

Postby Scott H » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:01 am

I posted this info at speedtalk. I thought there might be LINUX users here too.

Larry Meaux's PipeMax Software works flawlessly on Ubuntu LINUX 7.1 with WINE version 0.9.46. Very Happy I felt I would pass this on for other LINUX users across the globe who may be interested...

Scott
Scott H

Postby 49-1183904562 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:08 am

Scott,

This is great news and a motivation for me to focus some enery on my Linux box for testing. If this is the case with PipeMax there is a good chance FlowSoft will work also.

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby Scott H » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:07 pm

It might, but until you try it you wont know for sure. The best way to insure WINE will work with most Windows aps is to use WINE to run the Application's setup program.

In extreme cases where WINE wont work, you can use Virtualbox (now owned by Sun) to install Windows as a guest OS with Linux as the host. This requires you to have an installable Windows. That is to say it cannot be a restore disk like gateway, dell, toshiba and HP are shipping with their computers, but a regular installable windows disk.

In essence you are creating a virtual drive on your hard drive that runs under Linux. So when you boot your virtual machine, you will see a window open up and watch Windows booting. It looks identical to windows booting as the main OS. The sick thing is -- windows will boot noticeably faster as a guest to Linux than it can booted natively on the very same computer as the main operating system. Once you have the guest OS installed, you can create file sharing so your Windows guest and the Linux host can share drives and files.

The only downside to VirtualBox is the need for physical ram on the motherboard to keep things running snappy. 1gb ram works well in most cases.

Scott
Scott H

Postby MrHijet » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:22 am

I haven't had so much luck on MacWine (Wine on an Intel Mac), however I have VMware Fusion with a WinXP License, which works fine with PipeMax.

Thanks to the "unity"-feature, I can separate the working windows away from the simulated windows to the mac-gui. Works great.

Daniel
MrHijet

Return to General BS