[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Aircraft pics

Aircraft pics

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM

Postby 86rocco1 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:38 am

I had a little down time at work this morning so I snapped a few pics of the aircraft buzzing around; I was in the middle of the airfield about 200 yds from the active runway when I took these pics. The has a mini air show every father's day, these aircraft were part of that.

I like the juxtaposition of old and new in this first shot.

86rocco1

Postby slracer » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:18 am

Ed, Great shots! My father was Air Force for 30+ years (which might explain why I became an aero engineer) so I spent a lot of time on airbases and around airplanes. If you like to see them, this site might be of interest to you.

If you click on the thumbnail of the airplane, a window opens which shows you the cockpit! A couple of friends said it did not work for them, but it did for me. I checked out the pilot's office for the A-12 today to be sure it was still working.

Enjoy! -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby 86rocco1 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:56 am

That's a cool site Doug, thanks, the museum here actually has a couple of those aircraft, they have an F-104 on static display and an airworthy PBY. Here are a couple more shots. I was a couple hundred yards further away from the runway when I took these, that's unfortunate because otherwise you'd be able to get a good look at the B25's nose art. The second picture here is a Lysander, it's newly restored, it flew again for the first time less than 2 weeks ago.

86rocco1

Postby jfholm » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:21 pm

Ed,
Thanks for the pictures and sharing them. I love aircraft also and am really embarrassed to admit that I have not even been to the Hill AFB museum just north of me about 35 - 40 miles, Great place with lots of aircraft. They have an SR-71 Black Bird up there. What is even worse is it is FREE! I vow I will go there and take pictures and post here.

Thanks again Ed,
John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby bruce » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:59 pm

I always enjoy the aircraft pictures!!

I've probably spent more time at Hill AFB than you have John! We use to fly in there all the time to pickup a "special box" for a Spec'Ops mission we flew. Course we'd fly in one day and back out the next day to some place else. Most times it was on the way to Korea or Japan.

If I was still in I could have picked up some trips to meet some of the forum members here. But, it wasn't like the airlines were you actually ended up where your orders said you were going :)

Edited By bruce on 1245614418
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby slracer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:34 am

If you love airplanes, add the AF Museum at Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton, OH to your "bucket" list, but be careful. I took my grandsons there a few years back and found myself feeling really OLD! Some of the displays in the new building were programs I had worked on when they were so CLASSIFIED that you couldn't say the names! And they were hanging out in plain sight in a MUSEUM! "That's OK kids, you just go ahead and Grandpa will catch up in a little while!"

Seriously, the first time my wife went there with me, she was being "nice" to me because I liked it. When the place was closing, I had to drag her out of the place. Her father had been a Lockheed employee for 30+ years so a lot of names were familiar to her. Hank Ogden from the first around the world flight (1924) later worked with her father and she knew him and his family! Airplanes are about more than sheetmetal and engines! Don't miss it! -- Doug
PS - There is (or was) a section of "nose art" from WW2 also! It's about 500 miles due east on I-70 for you Bruce!
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby coulterracn » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:54 am

I like the Aircraft pictures. The Pensacola Naval Station in Pensacola, FL has an aircraft museum for anyone who happens to be vacationing in Florida. The 'Blue Angels' put on an awesome show there, well worth the visit.

Ray
"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here"
coulterracn

Postby bruce » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:09 am

Doug, We were out at the AF museum back in 2002 or 03 (can't recall) and spent 3 days there, wife just said the other day she wants to go back again. They were just moving planes into the third hanger and the missile silo was under construction when we were there. Might fit that into our schedule for later this Summer before she heads back for the school year.

Ray, I use to fly into Hurlbert Field a few times a year, mostly over night but did make it to a few of the "night spots" in Destin, never made it over to Pensacola though :)
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby slracer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:25 pm

Bruce, I'm beginning to wonder about your background? Hill and Hurlbert? I have a few "friends" at Hurlbert myself, but I usually went in the daytime.

My son was training as a Naval aviator at Pensacola so I did check out the night life there! :D I had a really hard time explaining the lipstick on the crotch of my jeans to my wife, but that is a really long story! :p -- Doug
slracer

Postby bruce » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:47 pm

Doug,

I was part of the "Big Safari" Program :;):
bruce
Site Admin

Postby slracer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:54 pm

You guys would have loved the last program that didn't exist that I didn't work on if it had existed! I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of such a program! :p :p :p

Doug
slracer

Postby coulterracn » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:38 am

"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here"
coulterracn

Return to General BS