[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Laptops?

Laptops?

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM

Postby bruce » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:42 am

Has anyone looked for Laptops on eBay?

What is with some of the prices?

For what some people are asking for old ones you can add a $100-150 to it and buy brand new +2.0ghz machine. They want $$$ and they removed the HDD, power cord/AC adapter, battery doesn't work or is missing etc etc . . . Even on the old sub-gig machines ???

Man oh man . . .
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby jfholm » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:41 pm

Bruce,
There is a used computer store close to me and I will go check it out. It is called Used Computer Warehouse. They supposedly have some good deals. I will check it out and let you know.

I know what you mean about people thinking things are worth so much just because "they" once owned them. A friend of mine works for Coca-Cola and they offered him an old laptop for $400. It was nothing. 1.0 gh celeron, 256 mb ram and a 30 gb hard drive. I told him to pass and just pay a couple hundred more and go to Costco and get one that is ten times better.

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby msj442 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:54 pm

ive had pretty good luck on laptops from ebay. i have a total of 4 put together now. of course they no speed demons on processors but they do the job for most of the programs run.one is 750mhz which is on the pts bench.two are 500mhz and one is 333mhz. i didnt pay over 50 for each of them. it seems the hard drives are the spendy part of even and old computer.
do you need a different laptop bruce?

max
msj442

Postby bruce » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:28 pm

"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby MrHijet » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:49 am

I am also using an old laptop in the garage. I bought one from Ebay for sub 80 Euros including everything. It is a 1 Ghz processor, which is fine for most jobs.

the notebooks/laptops (new) prices were gone very low. Most sellers of used notebooks can't beat the prices as much as needed. However if you ever worked with i.e. an IBM Thinkpad and then grab a new, but low cost Notebook you feel the differences.

Thats why I would always buy an old Thinkpad again. They are rock solid and you get virtually every item as an exchange part, when something breaks.

Cheers,

Daniel
MrHijet

Postby 49-1183904562 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:35 am

[color=#000000]Just my thoughts,

I would suggest that if you are running a low end processor, and are concerned about speed 350Mhz will run FlowSoft basic fine. That said my 350Mhz test box running Win98 SE is just that FlowSoft
49-1183904562

Postby msj442 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:55 pm

ok just seeing if i can help. i had a 15 inch lcd monitor last week that i let go for cheap. sorry a week to late. i would have just shipped it to you if i still had it, sorry bruce.

max
msj442

Postby bruce » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:49 pm

bruce
Site Admin

Postby msj442 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:14 pm

what? i dont get it. just trying to lend a hand ya know? i try not to chime in to much any more. :laugh:
msj442

Postby bruce » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:19 pm

U didn't have to tell me you gave it away cheap :D
bruce
Site Admin

Postby msj442 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:31 pm

oops. i get it now. :(
ill just stick to reading. lol
msj442

Return to General BS