[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - DIY Intake manifold

DIY Intake manifold

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:35 pm

[color=#000000]Daniel,

When I do equal length headers I buy the cheapest corrugated vinyl vacuum cleaner hose I can get, The last one was $15 US for 20 feet it is like 1.5 ID and 2
49-1183904562

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:37 pm

Ed,

how about a picture without the plastic wrap?
I know like Bruce it's top secrete stuff :D

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby 86rocco1 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:39 pm

86rocco1

Postby MrHijet » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:05 am

[color=#000000]Wow! I am overwhelmed of all these great ideas and thoughts. I have some problems to understand everything, as many technical materials / techniques are hard to translate, but I will get trough it.

@Rick:
[quote]When I do equal length headers I buy the cheapest corrugated vinyl vacuum cleaner hose I can get, The last one was $15 US for 20 feet it is like 1.5 ID and 2
MrHijet

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:48 pm

Danial,

I like stainless but it should be TIG welded and back purged with argon during welding. It is a little brittle compared to aluminum.

For the mock up you can make the plates out of acrylic if you like, or make the final product and mock up to them.

Go to this site to look at tubing option I love these guy's.
For anyone who makes PIPES these guy's are #1

Last, my composite experience is minimal but allot of Formula 1 guys use it so it must work, also if you go this way you may want to line it with a gas tank sealer solution.

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby blaktopr » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:02 pm

Now guys, cool ideas, but I have some more Q's. I am thinking of making a V8 intake and need some thoughts.

Foam/glass technique. What about the flanges, and what do you think of stress and vibration.

What about acrylic like the flow box in the other thread, still using foam for runner shape and length. Do you think it can hold on a running motor.

I looked into hydroforming back in my 2 stroke days. The only thing is to make the curves welded together without "bumps" Maybe epoxy to finalize the shape.

Been thinking about this lately, just need some added input.
Chris.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby Scott H » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:08 am

For flanges I would be tempted to try phenolic cloth (don't know the proper term).
Scott H

Postby blaktopr » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:38 pm

If anything, I would be interested in making an acrylic one. One, to see on the dyno and two, I came up with another possible testing idea to draw through all 8 ports at speed, each individual in reference to fireing order, using the bench. Then cross referencing the two to see any similarities. Idea seems a little silly, but may give some insight without having to run on the car. With water of course.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby jgrewe » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:19 pm

Back to the foam problem, I've found that plain exterior house paint will protect it from melting when working with resin or body filler. I've made molds for air boxes with the 2" thick stuff from Home Depot, cover it with a couple coats of paint, add body filler for final contour, wax it and start your lay up.

I am going to try the drywall mud idea though...
jgrewe

Previous

Return to General BS