[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - GM 2.5L?

GM 2.5L?

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM

Postby jfholm » Thu May 21, 2009 10:41 am

Just remember Bruce, you are going to go through the same thing my buddy did with his V8 Corvair. Finding a trans and diff to hold all that power. He finally had to go to a Porsche 5 speed trans-axle. Way out of my budget.

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby Malvin » Thu May 21, 2009 1:15 pm

Bruce John brings up a good point about over powering the trans I think if you were to port the head and intake manifold
you could keep it all naturally aspirated & dependable for having fun with & still have more power & TQ then a stock engine & it would not cost a arm & leg to do it. The key thing is keep it simple & dependable & cost effective.

Malvin :)
Malvin

Postby Flash » Thu May 21, 2009 2:34 pm

I think i would stick with the Iron Duke.

These eng were vary tuff, Have never seen a rod hang out of one.............For that matter, i can't recall ever seeing one puffing the bluessssss :laugh:

Have seen one eat a cam gear............but it had over 100,000 on the clock and the valve cover was full of sludge

All tho the exotic idea sound fun as well! :)
Gordon
Flash

Postby bruce » Thu May 21, 2009 2:46 pm

I've done the cam gear thing already, this car was my daily commuter for many years putting 100miles a day on it, now it just sits here collecting crud . . . it doesn't look "pretty" though

Listening to all you guys talk about cars got me thinking about how much I need to spend on my tractor to play a few weekends a season as apposed to how much I could spend on this car and use it anytime. The car would be way less $$$'s
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby coulterracn » Thu May 21, 2009 4:24 pm

Bruce

I'll put my two cents worth in, stay with the Iron Duke. The suspension and trans should be strong enough to handle a small turbo like the Eagle Talon or Mitsubishi Eclipise.

The Fiero Freddie Pendarvis drives (the one that pulls the front tires) is a stock suspension V6 car. I need to make a trip to Mobile, AL tomorrow and I'll try to locate Freddie's shop and ask some questions.

This man has built some fast vehicles and they all look like Grocery Getters. If you look close at the rear tires they're mounted on 8" wheels with factory style hub caps, etc...

He once built a head to use on a in-line 6 ford by welding sections of 351 Cleveland heads together.

Oh there I go again, Ray
"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here"
coulterracn

Postby coulterracn » Thu May 21, 2009 4:34 pm

John

Thanks for bringing to my attention the size of the port on the 2.5L head. That makes since that they would be that close in flow numbers. Am I wrong in my thinking that a small turbo would give the needed ratio between the intake and exhaust flow or would the forced air cause an increase thru the exhuast also. My thinking is the forced air is compacted in the combustion chamber and you should have a slight increase in exhaust flow but not as significant as the intake charge.

Ray
coulterracn

Postby msj442 » Thu May 21, 2009 10:29 pm

sorry to interupt your posts. i just ran across this thread. i to have "hot rodded" a 2.5 awhile back. i ported the stock head, have to dig up the flow sheet somewhere. also ported the intake and kept the stock throttle body. bored it .030 over and just stuck with the stock cam. built header for it.bumped up compression a little. put 2.250 cat back exhaust. it was in an 87 grand am 2 door. buddy put a posi with shift kit in the 125c tranny. it ran really good. guys at the shop i worked at were laughing at me, keep in mind i ported there stuff, until they seen how it ran. ate up the 24 valve 3.4 luminas and 3.1 and even gave some stock 5.0 mustangs a run for the money.

jmo, max
msj442

Postby coulterracn » Sun May 24, 2009 2:22 am

Bruce

I did not go to Mobile Friday and talk to the guy (Freddie) about his Fiero. I have to go next week for sure. Whatever information Freddie shares with me I'll post.

Ray

BTW I think I'm getting a better understanding of how to use the bench. I have a 3 inch orifice plate in the bench and bolted a 1.585 id orifice plate to the top. The 1.585 orifice plate was calibrated on Larry Meaux's bench a few years ago, 66.56cfm @28". I'm going to docuement the measurements at 10", 12", 16", 18", 28" & 36". I'll post in the members build area of forum.
coulterracn

Postby bruce » Sun May 24, 2009 8:01 am

This project is in the "brainstorming phase" so nothing is a rush, thanks for all the replies giving me something to think about.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General BS