[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - GM 2.5L?

GM 2.5L?

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM

Postby bruce » Wed May 20, 2009 8:12 pm

Anyone here mess with the GM 2.5L Iron Duke engine?

All this car talk here on the forum has me looking at my 84 Fiero that's sitting here not running. Tractor's are getting expensive and I've been toying with the idea of selling out and dabbling in this project.

I know the Duke is not a performance engine but I just want to dabble not go racing, something for me to have some fun in and not break the bank on . . .
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby jfholm » Wed May 20, 2009 9:59 pm

It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby bruce » Wed May 20, 2009 10:06 pm

Still have that head? ???

Was it the cross flow head?

Edited By bruce on 1242871632
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Malvin » Wed May 20, 2009 10:45 pm

Bruce I know were there is two of them fiero at if you need parts they are one mile away from my house they both have
the 2.5 four cylinders engines in them you can get them both really cheap.

Malvin :)
Malvin

Postby jfholm » Wed May 20, 2009 10:48 pm

Bruce,
I did that head for a customer who was using for drag racing. I did that in April of 1986. I have no idea where it has gone to.

Flow specs for that head at 28":
lift intake exhaust
.050" 32.5 cfm 29.3 cfm
.100" 60.1 52.8
.150 84.4 90.1
.200 109.6 108.8
.300 146.1 150.9
.400 178.6 189.1
.500 197.3 208.6
.600 213.5 218.4
.650 220.1 221.7
.700 223.3 224.1

here is pictures from a 1999 GM Performance Parts Catalog:

It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby jfholm » Wed May 20, 2009 10:50 pm

btw the head I did was the bottom cast iron head not the fancy aluminum cross flow one

John
jfholm

Postby jfholm » Wed May 20, 2009 10:59 pm

Here is a picture from that catalog of the intake we used on it.

John

jfholm

Postby jfholm » Wed May 20, 2009 11:07 pm

I recant - that manifold is NOT the one we used although we used one similar to fit the cast iron head - its ports were paired and not sperate like these.

John
jfholm

Postby bruce » Wed May 20, 2009 11:17 pm

Thanks for the info John!

Malvin, might have to take a drive up your way.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby coulterracn » Thu May 21, 2009 12:25 am

Paul Vanderley, a reputable engine builder in Biloxi, MS was under contract with General Motors Performance division to do R&D on this engine. One of His son's drove a Pontiac Sunbird in the NASCAR sanctioned Mini-Stock class.

Paul was making good horsepower with the 2.5L engine and it lived thru the abuse.

Freddie Pendarvis, a reputable engine builder in Mobile, Al has a V6 Fiero. That car does a nice wheel stand and looks like a grocery getter. Freddie likes to paly with Turbo's, that's all I have to say about that.

Ray
"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here"
coulterracn

Postby coulterracn » Thu May 21, 2009 12:37 am

John,

I have a question about the flow numbers and the ration of intake to exhaust. Would this be a good head for a turbo and what effect would the forced air have on the intake side? I've been a normally asperated guy all these 37+ years of racing. There's alot I'd like to learn about making power with a turbo or rather turbo's.

Ray
coulterracn

Postby jfholm » Thu May 21, 2009 1:31 am

Ray,
If you look at the picture of the head, the botton cast iron one you will see that the exhaust ports are just about the same size as the intake. The head probably really needed 2.02 intake valves.

In the back of my mind the connecting rods were the same size on the big end as a 350 Chevy but 6" long.

Keeping that in mind, Bruce, I have a set of 4 used SBC aluminum rods but they are only 5.7" long.

John
jfholm

Postby slracer » Thu May 21, 2009 2:13 am

Bruce, If you want HP, a neighbor of mine makes an adapter setup to drop a Cadillac Northstar into your Fiero. :D I haven't met him but this would be a good excuse!

Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby coulterracn » Thu May 21, 2009 6:33 am

I remember back in the day when GM had four different performance shops doing R&D on the Little Iron Duke. A friend of mine drove a VW Beetle in the Mini-Stock class that Vanderley's son ran in. The Pontiac was fast but couldn't shake loose the VW. We were running an 1800cc air cooled engine with ported dual port heads and a Scat camshaft. I wish I would of had a way to flow the heads then.

Have you ever read articles on modifying a cylinder head and the writer said not to remove materials in certain areas and you study the head, intake and exhaust as a total package and can't understand why they made that statement?

I didn't know it at the time but I was porting the VW and small block Ford heads in such a way I was getting the swirl effect before it was a popular subject.

Sorry about that, didn't mean to keep rambling on.

Ray
coulterracn

Postby bruce » Thu May 21, 2009 6:50 am

A friend of mine dropped a 3800SC into his 88 Fiero GT and it is wicked!!

I'll have to visit the local salvageyard next week and see what he has laying around. I've given some thought to the North Star and a NA 3800 the 3800SC are a tad "rich" for my taste right now.

If I do anything it's going to be based on salvageyard parts.

Ramble away . . .

Edited By bruce on 1242903270
bruce
Site Admin

Next

Return to General BS