[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - 79 Kawasaki - my way

79 Kawasaki - my way

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:42 am

Larry,

You will have to keep us up to date ont he project, this should be a really nice ride when its done.

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby slracer » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:30 am

Larry, Hope I don't have to do anything like the sprocket on mine, but it is a nice looking solution to your problem.

If you don't remember, my motor mounts are universal as shown here
(page 7 if the pointer doesn't get that far)

I found the stock rear brake setup and am changing to that so will start with getting the right spacers on the swingarm, then move the engine enough to line up the sprockets (it looks like I am still in the ball park for that). Once it is positioned, I'll make some spacers to keep it there, then can concentrate on the front end. A friend of a friend wants to build a streamliner (175cc) and is interested in the design. The mutual friend says he (friend of friend) will machine the big block of aluminum I have into the right shape to hold everything together for me! Have to get back to work (on the bike, not a job!). :D -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby larrycavan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:52 am

Doug,

Yes, since you're going in a straight line [hopefully :D ], the alignment becomes a bit easier. You can get away with wheel offset issues.

On a street bike, the wheel alignment is also part of the equation when you install wider wheels. The sprockets & chain are one alignment issue and the wheels are part of that.

Then there's the small matter of the tight space between the swingarm and the frame.

I went from 630 to 530 chain on mine. MXVZ type

Here's a nice drive chain chart in case you need one

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby slracer » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:43 am

Hi Larry, I don't believe in wheel offset much regardless of where I'm travelling. The straight line part is easy, but when the "cross wind at the notch" hit my buddy the first time he moved from the left side of the course to the right side without moving the bars in about 1 second. That is about 60 feet and he was travelling about 160mph (240 fps in round numbers) at the time! It IS necessary to steer sometimes, just to stay on the course! :p I am lining up the wheels with the chassis centerline, then putting the front sprocket in line with the rear sprocket. The 3 different engines I'm looking at running have grossly different mounts so the "universal" design was necessary to put them all where they belong!

Your "toy" is looking really good! If you don't come out this way, maybe I'll throw a leg over "Dusty" and road trip it that way. Hmmm! How far are you from Hershey? :D My son in Maryland is now in Monterey, CA so that doesn't work. Looking for new progress shots, keep them coming!

Doug

PS - Thanks for the chain chart. The little toy uses a 428 so I can get 1 more tooth on the front sprocket and not have the chain act like a saw!
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby bruce » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:17 pm

"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby larrycavan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:08 pm

I'm about 160 miles from Bruce, north up I81. Holler if you get in the area and we can arrange to hookup at Bruce's place or something. I was there on Friday checking out all the top secret stuff at world headquarters... :;):
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby larrycavan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:34 pm

More progress
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby larrycavan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:35 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby jakesportingservice » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:54 pm

Very nice looks like it goin to be fun to ride :D I take it you've had it running since the pipe is colored .

Jake
jakesportingservice

Postby hdwgfx » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:10 am

Looks REALLY nice, great work....
Thanks,
david
hdwgfx

Postby jfholm » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:03 pm

Larry! I just notice the digital gauges! Way cool! That is going to be one sweet ride.

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby blaktopr » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:35 am

I can't get over how sweet that came out Larry. Makes me want to get another 1980 CB and do something like it. :D Maybe one day I can ride my outdated bike up and you can show me some twisties!
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby 49-1183904562 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:55 pm

Stop teasing us post some more pics!

And some of that Coupe you have setting behind her :D

Rick
49-1183904562

Previous

Return to General BS