[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Bonneville or Bust!

Bonneville or Bust!

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM

Postby jfholm » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:41 am

I just had a thought, and that can be dangerous. What if we try for a Bonneville or Bust for the PTS group for next year? If old Burt Munro can do it on a shoe string all the way from Austrailia, we should be able to figure out a way to do it. Maybe we can have a bake sale :D

I know there are some guys that live close to Burce and maybe you can pool your resources and drive all together. There were times when I slept in a motel room with 10 guys when we went drag racing. Camped out, slept in a tent in the park etc.

Think about it. Wouldn't that be cool if the guys who could swing it from the forum could meet Doug at Bonneville. Let's see if we can do it for next year.

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby bruce » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:59 pm

Think it might get "ugly" with some of us living together for a few days we'd have to figure out who'd be the soberest one for the next leg of the drive!!
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby jfholm » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:06 pm

Bruce,
You may have to recruit one of those Amish guys. I hear they are as dry as us Mormons :D I have been driver many a time when going racing. I really never minded either. Some of my buddies who are so stinking reserved really get fun to be around when they get a beer or two in them.

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby slracer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:31 pm

Let me know ahead of time as I usually only have 2 cases of beer with me! My favorite, of course, is Roswell Alien Amber Ale from Sierra Blanca Brewery near Roswell. Their Nut Brown is also very good! I am intending to have the new bike ready for next year too so I shouldn't have a problem finding a pit crew! :D However, I always tell people, you don't PLAN to go to Bonneville, you have to COMMIT to it. For instance, all the available rooms in the hotels will be reserved by Jan 1st, with a very large part of them reserved as people leave this year! The party crowd stays at "The Bend in the Road" and camps! After you leave I-80, there is a 90* corner on the road to the salt. That is the "bend". Porta potties are just about the only concession to civilization (if you can call it that). Motor homes with generators for the old guys and sleeping in your car or truck for the younger ones! As an inspector, I get to split a room in town with another inspector! The SCTA-BNI organization rents the same motel every year (yes, the WHOLE motel). If you make it out here (there), I'll have to commit to Hershey (won't WE John?)! :p -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby jsa » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:31 pm

Cheers

John
jsa

Postby jfholm » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:42 pm

Sorry,
I knew better. I have to tell a funny story about New Zealand. I have a friend a few years older than me, 63 - 64, who served in New Zealand on an LDS (Mormon) mission. He was assigned to teach the native people there the "lessons". The missionaries were told never, never what ever you do never turn down food because these native people always gave the most treasured and sometimes hard to get food to guests. First night there the first family they were teaching was so excited to have these missionaries that they said they were going to cook up a special treat for them. The father started pan frying up some big old ground grubs that he said were huge. He said he was gagging and retching before they were even served. But remembering what he had been counselled he took the first one and finally bit into it. He said it was one of the best things he has ever eaten. Tasted like a big old cashew he said. After that he could never get enough of them.

John
jfholm

Postby larrycavan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:18 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby jsa » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:54 am

Cheers

John
jsa

Postby jfholm » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:16 am

I might try them cooked but I DO NOT think I could eat one raw - refer to Larry's posted picture :D

John
jfholm

Postby bruce » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:22 pm

Lick the Salt . . . eat the Grub . . . drink the Shot!
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Flash » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:55 pm

Gordon
Flash

Postby tweaks » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:33 pm

Hey John ,

You were lucky your mate wasn't a missionary back in the 1890's as the native Moari's were rather partial to the odd missionary and would have had him for a meal along with the Huhu grubs...

Cheer

Lynds

( K1W1 in Aus )
tweaks

Postby slracer » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:40 pm

Bruce, Don't lick the yellow salt! :( We also had 85 mph winds Thursday night which knocked over the porta-potties so don't lick the blue salt either! I am on my way home after stopping in So.Cal for my daughter's 40th birthday and should be able to update then, but for now just some numbers:

150+ bikes and an average of almost 30 bikes a day qualifying for a recrod run. Each one gets torn down (or hydraulically checked) for displacement and class requirements after the record run. On Sun (the first day for record runs) I had LUNCH at 4pm. Highest speed for the event was a 397 one way(with a 402 terminal speed) by Flatfire. I tihnk the high speed bike was 252 terminal speed. More about Friday! __ Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby jfholm » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:46 pm

Doug,
Do they know what week Speed Week will be next year 2010. I am going to plan part of my vacation around that week.

John
jfholm

Postby slracer » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:28 am

John, Except for 2008 when we were trying to work with the hotels and got screwed, Speedweek has started on the second Sat of Aug. That would make it Aug 14th in 2010. It concludes the following Friday which would be Aug 20. Working with those dates will be the best odds around. The 2010 schedules for Bonneville and El Mirage should go online in early Jan (if not before). Keep an eye on scta-bni.org.

Doug
slracer

Next

Return to General BS