[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Intersting Information - Technical Artical

Intersting Information - Technical Artical

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM

Postby 49-1183904562 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:42 pm

Not sure where to post this and if any of you have ever come across it but it looked like good reading.

Rick

49-1183904562

Postby 200cfm » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:15 am

Very good article. Laminar flow offers faster air speed than turbulent flow. That was a learning point. And laminar flow is fastest down the center of the pipe. I thought it be important to have pressure balance throughout the cross section areas of the pipe for best flow. Can anyone explain why laminar flow is faster with CSA pressure imbalances?
200cfm

Postby 86rocco1 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:36 am

I'd think that whenever there's greater flow, there would, out of necessity, be a bigger pressure imbalance, more flow implies a greater average pressure, but they're always be a boundary layer next to the surface where the the pressure is near zero, put those two facts together and you get a larger imbalance.
86rocco1

Postby CraigAPD » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:59 am

I would have thought the velocity gradient peaking in the centre of the bore was more to do with wall friction?
CraigAPD

Postby 200cfm » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:52 pm

What if it were not round but square or even rectangular. Assuming no curves where would the fastest air be? Still down the middle or ???
200cfm

Postby gofaster » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:15 am

Nice article! I really liked the last 3d model showing the CFD analysis of a fully dynamic engine cycle.

Has anybody on the forum used the "4stHEAD" software mentioned in the article? I have been reading Professor Gordon Blair's book "Design and Simulation of Four-Stroke Engines", which is very interesting. Regretably, I'm somewhat under educated, so I trip over some of the math. I wondered if the soft ware would help me through some of it, because I understand it was also designed by Professor Blair and his Associates.
Jim
gofaster

Postby ThomasVaught » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:26 pm

Quote:

"Laminar flow offers faster air speed than turbulent flow. That was a learning point. And laminar flow is fastest down the center of the pipe. "

I went back through my old NACA papers and found that graph and the testing in some pre 1950 air flow work. They measured the shape with a pressure tap grid.

Tom V.
ThomasVaught

Postby jsa » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:05 am

Cheers

John
jsa

Return to General BS