[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Oh dear - what a "rainy" day

Oh dear - what a "rainy" day

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM

Postby 77-1212596771 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:23 am

In Dortmund (Germany) we had a very rainy day on last saturday. Including thick hails we had in 2 hours 210 liter rain on to one square meter. Thats the same amount of water for normally 3 month, which we got in two hours.

Sadly this rain broken into our little workshop and our floor drain wasn't capable to flush so much water away.

We had to escape the place after fighting 2 hours against the water, because the water flooded our car pit and the water reaches the electric installations.

We still hope to save many parts, but there will be plenty of spare parts unusable any more and we thrown back for weeks to get the place back into a usable stage again.

I had luck to get completly wet but still fine at home. My colleagues car had a bump stop to an instantly fallen tree on the autobahn. He is fine, so we just have to fix his (newly restaured and painted) car again.

Daniel
77-1212596771

Postby bruce » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:34 am

Wow sorry to hear that!!! Hope you get back on track
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 115-1172523331 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:02 am

Wow! If I calculated right, that is over 8 inches in 2 hours! I can't imagine what your rain even looked like. We had 5 inches in 24 hours on Saturday and that caused floods and washed away roads and bridges here in the mountains in Ruidoso, NM. The attached picture was taken on Sunday afternoon and shows one bridge, one block from downtown (to the left of the pic). Hope all are well and you get back in operation soon! -- Doug
115-1172523331

Postby 77-1212596771 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:05 pm

Many streets were closed since saturday, but lucky its getting better now and the major roads are usable again. I think it wasn't that dangerous like what you show in the picture thanks to a quite good "street structure".

A little river raised 4 meter (so a bit over 13 feet) instantly in aprox 20 minutes due to the sudden rain, so there was not much time to react.

We never had such a rainfall since the beginning of weather recordings.
The good thing was: It stopped after some hours instead of raining several days like in other areas where floods are problems.

Somehow I am a bit happy to not have bought the wooden plates to build the flowbench up to now ...

Cheers,

Daniel
77-1212596771

Postby 106-1194218389 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:17 pm

[color=#000000]I see these reports about rain and flooding and then see how dry it is in Utah here. Yesterday was 103
106-1194218389

Postby 115-1172523331 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:15 am

John, Speed Week starts August 17th (thru the 24th). Please hold any rain until after then (or miss the Bonneville Salt Flats)!! :D -- Doug
115-1172523331

Postby 106-1194218389 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:58 pm

Doug,
Are you going to be there then? If so I may try to make it out. They have been working us a lot of overtime and I don't have much vacation left, but I would try and work something out. Next week, Aug 4 to 8 is supposed to rain. They said the monsoons are going to blow in from the gulf and Phoenix, AZ area. The following week looks clear and a little cooler, high 80's and low 90's. Can't find a weather report for Speed Week though.

John
106-1194218389

Postby 115-1172523331 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:15 am

John, If it doesn't rain, I'll be there. You can find me in the Motorcycle Inspection area. I don't have a "weather" report, but the course report can be found here (last update 8-1-08).

I usually start the week off with a case or two of GOOD cold beer in the cooler, but depending on temps that can disappear fast (after racing is done)! :p My definition of a GOOD beer is Sierra Blanca's microbrew called Roswell ALIEN Amber Ale (complete with a little green guy on the label)! Drop by and have one! (That includes all PTS Forum members!) -- Doug

PS - The hotel room situation is getting worse every year as Wendover becomes more of a North Las Vegas and is the closest gambling to Salt Lake City. Check on a room first (later in the week is best). This year we start later (first racing on Monday) and go through mid-day on Sunday.
115-1172523331

Postby 106-1194218389 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:46 pm

Doug,
I may have told you one time, but I have a couple of friends that are building a turbo charged 50cc Honda trying to get a land speed record. I hope they get it done for this year.

John
106-1194218389

Postby 115-1172523331 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:59 pm

John, Give me their names (or email) and I'll see what I can do to help. Are they from AZ, UT, or ??? ? The list of pre-entries is on the SCTA-BNI website (link above). If not on that list, they GET to pay more entry fees at the meet. Last year we had a group from AZ running Honda 50's, one with a Hansen supercharger. Had a lot of trouble but also had a lot of FUN! Won't be there this year due to another fun project (like riding dirt from the Mexican border to the Canadian, in July and August)! Had a turboed 125 Honda last year at the World Finals in Oct. Took everything the motor had to spin the turbo, but when it got to RPM the power came on. They are planning to return from IN, but smaller crowds appeal to them so Oct again.

Since the topic here is "rain", ANOTHER monsoon just blew through here and dumped another 1/2" in the last 2 hours. The river was just starting to look like water too, now back to mud!

Doug
115-1172523331

Postby 106-1194218389 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:47 pm

They are Walt and Ray Bloomfield from Salt Lake City, Utah. Now where did you say you are Doug? AZ?
106-1194218389

Postby 115-1172523331 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:19 pm

I'm in the (formerly) "pristine mountain community" of Ruidoso, NM (elevation 6550 @ my house). Until the rain last weekend, that is how one of the news accounts described the city. The floods from Dolly were the worst here in 81 years. Actually, I'm in a small town outside Ruidoso, but you need a large scale map to find Alto!

I didn't see any Bloomfield in the pre-entry list. Hope they make it! The small bore crowd is a lot of fun! -- Doug
115-1172523331

Postby MrHijet » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:43 am

By the way,

My little garage is cleaned up again. It's mostly dry again, thanks to some sunny days.
The only thing we haven't seen, as inside the storage room next to my garage. I had a (closed) Daihatsu Charade with a near new interieur waiting for a restoration in that room. We haven't checked it from inside, because it looked fine, but there must have been water entered and its mildewed from inside :-(
Since these cars are not too rare these days, I will (have to) get out all mildewed parts and disassemble all useful technical parts and dump the rest.

After all we had not too much loss, except much work to clean up the place again.

Daniel
MrHijet

Postby MrHijet » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:31 pm

We have a sweet weather again ...

Last week it started snowing at temperatures around +2 to -3 degree celsius.

But since tuesday we have around -20 to -25 Degree Celsius ( thats around -13 degree Fahrenheit). Really uncommon for my living area.
Tonight in Germany we had the lowest temperatures of -28 degree celsius (but that was measured around 250 km away from here).
In general we have very mild winters since many many years. Often it even doesn't snow or it's directly melting again.

I just head rebuild one of my daily drivers engine one week before christmas and I am happy to see that the engine works fine even in this unusual climate.

Daniel
MrHijet

Postby 106-1194218389 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:42 am

I haven't been on the board much this week. I had to rush my wife to the hospital emergency room the first of the week. She had pancreatitus caused by gall stones in the gall bladder. She is ok now, they removed her gall bladder today. I get to bring her home tomorrow after a week in the hospital. I took a picture of her in her hospital bed and told her I was going to post it here. She said if I did I would spend way more than a week in the same hospital bed. :D
I did get a good panorama shot from her hospital room. This is the east side of Salt Lake city. It only encompasses about 1/4 to 1/3 of the valley. You get to see some of our mountains though. Doug in New Mexico probably has some nice ones there also.
John

106-1194218389

Return to General BS