[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Reverse Laminar Flow

Reverse Laminar Flow

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:37 am

Came across this video and it just got me thinking not sure if its hoax or not.

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby 86rocco1 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:46 am

That's just a little too freaky, I've never seen liquids un-mix like that before so I gotta think it's a hoax, and if it's not a hoax then there's certainly more going on there than we're lead to believe
86rocco1

Postby 106-1194218389 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:33 pm

My take on this is it is really not a "liquid" but a very soft rubber or gel substance that maintains it's integrity. You can introduce another substance to it. like the colored stuff. When you turn the handle it stretches it but does not really mix it, but the colors stretch and overlap making it look like they mix. It is kind of like stretching a multi colored balloon. then when you turn it backwards it returns to it's original shape - the colors they introduce were probably not straight in line but offset a little from each other so they would overlap and not mix, but when we were seeing it head on it looks like they were right inline.
John
106-1194218389

Postby jsa » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:24 pm

Nice demo I like it.

I think it is liquid, just a very high viscosity liquid. Maybe cold glucose for a guess.

The colours are displaced by depth. This can be seen from where the clear liquid trails when the tube is retracted.

I think the effect relies on the coloured syrup having lower viscosity so that it shears internally with handle rotation but doesn't shear at the interface with the clear liquid.
Cheers

John
jsa

Postby 115-1172523331 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:06 am

Looking at the closeup near the end of the video, it looks like there may be a series of "stacked" bowls which separate the colors from each other. Looking at the end shape vs the original, there is some change in each so that part is just the result of the high viscosity. That's my take! -- Doug
115-1172523331

Postby Tony » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:53 pm

Hmmmm.....

I am thinking that the second half of this movie has been reversed in time, but it is not just the same first half that has been played backwards. Watch the fingers !

I believe the first half of this is shown, as it occurred, right up until the handle stops turning. They then spliced a completely different second half sequence that has been reversed in time onto the end. Quite an effective illusion.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby 49-1183904562 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:00 am

[color=#000000]So, The professor weights in with
49-1183904562

Postby 106-1194218389 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:26 am

We dont really know what the clear substance is. Is it a thick silicone gel? Something that keeps the other "corn syrup" from mixing in though. I think that is the key. Something to keep the two from homogenizing. But keep in mind I am from Utah where we discovered "Cold Fusion" so I am very skeptical.

John
106-1194218389

Postby bruce » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:50 pm

You guys need another hobby!! :D
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:58 pm

Bruce,

I have a new hobby it's call PTS FlowSoft :p
49-1183904562

Return to General BS