[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Valve Seat Cutter - Multi Cutter 3D Etc

Valve Seat Cutter - Multi Cutter 3D Etc

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM

Postby 1960flh » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:44 pm

Any of you guy's using the 3D fast cut system from Goodson?

If not what are you using and your thoughts?

I don't have a seat & guide machine all my tooling i set up to work on my virtical mill (Clausing Kondia FV1 w/ DRO).

I'm looking for a setup to do seat work mostly Harley Nice radius etc.

Rick
HP = Torque x RPM / 5252
1960flh

Postby gofaster » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:46 pm

Rick,
I never used the Goodson type of seat cutting system, but I have cut out old seats and counterbored Harley heads for new o.s. seats in a vertical mill. Goodson makes a heavy duty stand for that kind of work and it works well. Sorta like a small rollover fixture. It is nice and rigid. The trick is to line up your valve guide dead nuts straight with the spindle, and carefully lock the angle, then the base and table, with constant rechecks to make sure you didn't skew the alignment when you tightened everything. I don't see any reason why a 3-d cutter on a straight toolholder[I] wouldn't work. I would be leery of the flex joint style toolholders, though. I think they would be prone to chatter or possibly they could have concentricity problems. It's been a while since I had to do things that way, but it worked ok.
Jim
gofaster

Postby 1960flh » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:27 pm

Thanks jim,

I use a setup i made out of a large cast iron angle plate that index off the rocker box pins, my testing and previous guide work have all proven the fixture worthy; Now to test it on seat replacement and cutting. I have B&D stone setup and Neway stuff but I really would like to be able to get a nice radius on the exhaust seats.

Rick
HP = Torque x RPM / 5252
1960flh

Postby gofaster » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:57 pm

Rick,
I think you have the right idea. Can't go wrong with cast iron fixturing! Just be sure to lock everything down good (including the table gibs) and your results should rival my Serdi. And you'll have that much more money in your wallet!
Jim
gofaster

Postby airflowdevelop » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:54 pm

I currently use a 9x49 msc mill as a seat and guide machine...and absolutlely LOVE IT!! Have used many a different type of S/G machine over the years, and the only machines I would consider buying would be the sunnen-20/tns-2k. But with the veritcal mill, you are able to machine your seat depths much more acurately, and even more rigid than 99% of the dedicated seat machines. Plus the versatility is incredible! on raw castings, I cut for my guides, install guides, cut counterbores, finish guides, rough cut seats, finish cut seats and surface without ever touching the setup of the head!! the setup time is a little more time consuming, but you have enough Z axis, that no matter what tool you need to use, you never have to break the setup (most newer higher dollar S/G machines are this way also).

I also use some 3d stuff from goodson, there ballhead driven counterbore adapter is awesome. There ball drives are nice too, but I would recommend the extended support ball drives from Goodson, or the standard TNS deal, which includes lower support.

If you have any questions I can help with, feel free to shoot me an email.

Thanks
Dennis
airflowdevelop

Postby 1960flh » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:01 pm

Dennis;

Thanks for the feed back that is what i am looking for I do mostly Harley stuff and have created my own fixtures by remachining some off shore cast iron angle plates from Enco.

I currently use a B&D vibrocentric and have a full compliment of Neway, but I am realy interested in the 3d stuff and how some of the advanced cutter profiles Flow. With the Mondello ??? signiture the price doubles and experimentation gets expensive. I have even thoght of making a cutter holder for my small boring head a tedt setup. I have a very low hour Cluasing Kondie FV1 for a mill, and I agree set up is a little slower but the acuracy is on the mark.

Thanks,

Rick
HP = Torque x RPM / 5252
1960flh

Return to General BS