[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - 200 CFM Research

200 CFM Research

Share whatca have found? Brainstorming? Only open to members

Postby slracer » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:34 am

Tom, When I get home, I'll check my copy but if I remember right you are looking for areas which DON'T change the flow much. This shows slow flow and areas where adding wall might help. I really don't remember what he was doing for fast areas, but the velocity probe is an obvious answer. Good luck!

Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby 200cfm » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:21 pm

One point I did learn was the need to have a static pressure reading manometer. I don't have one so will try and build one this week to sniff around the port for the actual pressure readings. Also if you can look at his formula for calculating the air speed based on piston speed, piston bore, and port diameter. That's a new formula for me. Never seen it used anywhere else before. It's on page 104.
200cfm

Postby 49-1183904562 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:03 am

Tom,

Glad to here you got the book and may have got something out of it I have read through it many times just getting basic experimental techniques. Do you pick up on his basic flow measuring device is the same thing Mr. Vizard posts as his easy/simple flow bench :p 20 years later

As Doug said the flow ball can be used to find dead spots, no change in depression or flow ??? with the ball in the port.

Rick

Edited By 1960FL on 1256569695
49-1183904562

Postby jfholm » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:49 pm

Thanks Larry,
That will be helpful. Also don't you think you could make various shapes with JB Weld or something and attach it to a wire and see what kind of results? Maybe something wide enough to cover the whole SSR to see if building that up helps.

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby Flash » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:31 pm

wow grate idea, Even better explanation of it!!!!!!

THANK Y0U!!!!!

The price will hold me off, for a while........but is DEFINITELY on my flow bench tool list :;):
Gordon
Flash

Postby bruce » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:50 pm

Go buy a pack of beads in various sizes at the local craft place with a hole in them and epxoy/glue them on a piece of rod.

Simple cheap flowballs . . .
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby jfholm » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:18 pm

It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby 200cfm » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:50 pm

Yes, thanks Larry for that classroom instruction on "flowballs". Really excellent and I will pursue this concept further. I am off on a tangent here trying to upgrade the car with an air to air intercooler. Here is my homemade bonnet.

Leaves are falling like snow here and the leaves are winning. When I get the time I am going to try and flow the intercooler on the bench. And hopefully flow different plumbing layouts for the most efficient system.

Another learning adventure for the PTS Bench.
200cfm

Postby bruce » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:26 pm

"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby WPH » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:06 pm

Pekka
WPH

Postby 200cfm » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:47 pm

That is an excellent idea. Another strategy plan to remember. Late today I made history and flowed my intercooler. Hardest part was getting it to the bench and connected. It's heavy at close to 20 lbs. So I gave up on arm strength and resorted to my engine host and a tube extension to reach the bench. Crude, yes, but ... :p

I made up a plate with a hole that would flow close to 100 % incline at 28" wc. Wanted high test pressure and max incline to get some sensitivity. Then welded up a connection for the 90 degree turn. Flowed the 90 degree turn and hose connection for a base reference. Got 177.2 base cfm.

Connected up the intercooler and flowed inlet port A first. Then flowed port B only, then combined A & B.

Results:

Base Port A Port B Port A+B
177.2 155.9 161.9 173

Measured lost from base on combined AB is 2.37% if I am doing this procedure correctly.

Then I ported the inlet and outlet on the cooler. Inner castings are ruff so was hoping for a gain. Added a radius to the inner lip where the hose connects and gave some radi to the backside of the tube up inside. Took away the abrupt squareness and added some radi up inside where he connection tube ends and becomes inner chamber. And smooth up the inside of the connection.

Base Port A Port B Port A+B
177.2 162.9 166.2 174.8

Measured lost now at 1.34%.

Image :D
200cfm

Postby jfholm » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:11 am

Tom,
That is really nice looking. You are getting to be quite a good fabricator. Your hat also looked very good.

John
jfholm

Postby 200cfm » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:21 pm

John, I hope your wife is having a successful recovery and will be up an chasing you around soon. :D

I added the plumbing to be used on the tube layout and made some flow tests. The tubing made a big change.

Base B port A + B port % Loss
177.2 128.6 158.6 10.5

I included the turbo compressor housing as part of the test. I haven't flowed the actual 3 inch return from port C that would go to the carb. Looks like some more will be lost on the final C output leg. That leg will have the dreaded 90 degree turn from the C port. I am thinking that if the turbo compressors put out 10 lbs a good 1.5 to 2 lbs will be dropped across the tubing and intercooler by the time it finds the carb bonnet.

One thing I discovered is though the ports take a 2.5 and 3.0 hose connection, the actual ID of each port is under around 2.250 and 2.650. So I may gain some by porting out the ID more.

The tubing is from two separate kits I bought. Choices are only straight, 90 and 135 turns on the tubes so one leg is longer than necessary. (tom c)

200cfm

Postby Flash » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:06 am

I don't think you should figure, the compressor housing. into your flow figures.

It's restrictive, and need to be so, do to the nature of it all(I know, I'm not telling you any thing new were :D )

I thing all of it should be there but the turbo housing.

I think most of you lost is right there.

The air hasn't got a chance of slowing down until it leave that housing........I just wouldn't consider it a restriction in the system.

Flowing each housing on the bench to compare each other would be interesting.
Gordon
Flash

Previous

Return to Airflow thoughts?