[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - The Ultiamte Intake Runner casting - What is shape of a good flowing runner?

The Ultiamte Intake Runner casting - What is shape of a good flowing runner?

Share whatca have found? Brainstorming? Only open to members

Postby Half-Inch Stud » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:22 pm

So I ask if there is an ideal intake Runner casting that can be described by the folks here. As if to say many benches were built, much results gathered, and compared with the ton of prior art out there to say...the good flowing Intake Runner needs to look like "this" upon approaching the valve stem, and like "that" in the bowl.

For strokes under 3.75"
For Strokes near 4.2"

Or simply, clearly are there some Runner & Bowl shape trends noticed when evolving from short-stroke to long stroke?
12.9s @ 106.5MPH on 87 Octane, no ping. <--should be high 11's but I dunno why I'm so slow.
Half-Inch Stud

Postby blaktopr » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:53 pm

I think we are all still working on that. I been studying the effects of bowl/ central runner shapes to equalize the speeds through the throat and seat, and the effects that has on the wet flow signature in the chamber/cylinder. With some headway.

Chris.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby 200cfm » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:42 am

In some reading research I came across a statement that said the longer the stroke the faster the velocity of the air through the port in comparison to a shorter stroke motor. How would that be used in porting?
200cfm

Postby 106-1194218389 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:05 pm

106-1194218389

Postby larrycavan » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:46 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Half-Inch Stud » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:46 pm

Well there it is: the Venturi. The necessary shape to allow the mass-air to speed-up to the Valve's backface & flow along the backface into the CYL.

I gots some fundamental advice from some 1976 book on...of all tings flow hoods and ductwork. Show plots, nomographs and scale factors on ductwork.

The advice: Our Intake rectangular ports are killing flow because the "tall runner does the turn causing short-radius flow to pinch-off the Long radius flow by crashing into it. <-- I hope all on this site know this.

Our port-runner shape should be low-height, and wide. If I could UPLOAD a ppt-slide pict, it would be a picture of:

Factory Rect D D like E-Exhaust Factory Rect
ports on their side ports
BEST Good Bad
12.9s @ 106.5MPH on 87 Octane, no ping. <--should be high 11's but I dunno why I'm so slow.
Half-Inch Stud

Postby CraigAPD » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:43 pm

CraigAPD

Postby 106-1194218389 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:08 pm

106-1194218389

Postby CraigAPD » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:47 pm

:)
CraigAPD

Postby Half-Inch Stud » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:42 pm

Aside from CSA concerns for "rate-of-flow" I've boiled it down to the basic displacement:

The CID volume from Bore&Stroke ought pull an Intake track of equal Volume. Such that the "runner" pulls from a pressurized Plenum (or similar Step-in-diameter). Aside from intake pulse timing, this basic makes a case for 8 throttle plates located about 1 CYL volume away from the valve seat huh.

Makes me re-ponder the dual-plane versus a single-plane with a constant diameter "momentum tube" at teh carb inlet. In other words an air cleaner seem to destroy above-carb momentum. :cool:
Half-Inch Stud

Return to Airflow thoughts?