[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Turbo testing

Turbo testing

Share whatca have found? Brainstorming? Only open to members

Postby blaktopr » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:44 pm

OK, guys. Read this through and offer your thoughts. The testing will leave out temerature and such, but will maybe give some indications of turbine wheel/hot side vs compressor output based on a common pressure on the hot side and the airflow from compressor. Something like that. Well this is how I would try a test.

Main bench in exhaust mode and able to measure flow (??) blowing through different pipe configurations into the hot side. The test pressure will be a constant for all tests. Say 30". Check flow through hot side for reference.

Have the cold side connected to another "bench" (which is an attachment I am building) that also has an orifice plate to see flow of that side plus pressure generated.

I would only be looking for any conclusions can be drawn on a bench with different hot/cold side variations and if they can be used in designs for a motor parameter and to test possible pipe sizes and it's effect on that particular turbo design.

This is sort of the talk we have about measuring velocities in a running motor to be cross referenced back to the bench. What do you guys think? Would I be wasting my time?? Actually, I would probably try it anyway, some info is better than no info.

Chris.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby 200cfm » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:12 am

Chris, not sure one can flow bench a turbo to determine the output potential. It takes a lot of exhaust heat and energy to power the turbine side and make the compressor side actually move and compress inlet air. You might get it to spool but not sure how you could read or interpret any flow. I try to find compressor maps on the units I use. Not always available on the units and becomes a trial and test on my stuff. I do believe one could flow test the exhaust piping and inlet piping for flow improvements or drop off. Might work on the turbo itself. Would be interesting to try. I did a simple test when I was rebuilding these old TO- 4 units with replacment bearings. I wanted limited endplay and little bearing drag. It worked out fine with a new bearing in the worn housing. Some end play in the sense of blue printing but very little drag. I could put a vacumn on turbine side and it would spool so I concluded I had limited bearing drag. But I thinnly painted the compress housing to warn against any possible compressor blade contact. Inspected it after the runs and not a scratch. You might say I run the specs on the edge to gain quick spool up on the line.
200cfm

Postby blaktopr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:20 pm

I fully understand the other things involved with powering a turbo and the maps, pressure ratios, etc. Looking if there would be some additional info to gain, just like we test a head on a bench with static pressures and nowhere near what is happening dynamically. Thoughts like these lead to others. Questions lead to answers. What kind of pressure will a compressor achieve based on a "static" pressure from the bench, 30, 40 or 50" on the hot side. Just looking to get down into the next layer of the onion and expand the use of the flowbench as a tool. I have one better Tom. What if I powered the turbo remotely from a running motor, then fed from the compressor side to a carb,intake, head on the bench. See what the head does under boost. even if it is 2-5 (?) Then see if wetflow changes from NA to boost. Stuff like that. There are a few guys that I will be helping with turbo combos. I also grasp all the math. Just trying to take it one step furthur.

Chris.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby blaktopr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:28 pm

Just so some of you understand, I am enjoying the exploration of the "flowbench" as a tool. I first built it to do heads. Then I explored wetflow. Now I am interested in increasing it's design parameters to do testing in more ways than the "conventional". I am just as interested now in bench use and design as I am with making power. I am truly addicted to find as many ways to utilize this tool, no matter how wierd it may sound at first. Just ask Bruce how I can be. :D

Chris.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby 49-1183904562 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:01 pm

Chris,

You will never waste your time if you are pursuing knowledge. I applaud your striving to learn, but i have to laugh as while in the shop yesterday i picked up a 1/2 inch washer, looked at it and thought i wonder what it would flow. Is this a sickness ? :D

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby blaktopr » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:27 pm

Thats a good one Rick! :D That gave me a good laugh.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Return to Airflow thoughts?