[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Bellmouth intake shapes

Bellmouth intake shapes

Share whatca have found? Brainstorming? Only open to members

Postby 106-1194218389 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:56 pm

I ran into a great article on Pro. Blairs site about the shapes for the bellmouth on the intake side of an engine. I was looking for this to help design the bell mouth on some injector stacks. Very good article as usual by Prof. Blair. Also note what he states about round ports and rectangular ports :( and me with my Small Block Chevy. This is really good help for you motorcycle guys and for the intake side of turbos.

John
106-1194218389

Postby larrycavan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:51 am

Great timing on that link John. :D
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby 106-1194218389 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:22 am

It really was helpful for me. I want to build and old 235 Chevy style motor for the salt flats to run in a vintage class. They have a round intake, albeit siamesed, and want to run injection. I will have to build my own injectors so I want to know how to design the bell on the stacks. That answers a lot of questions. I thought of you motorcycle guys and thought even if it helps a little it would give an advantage.

John
106-1194218389

Postby larrycavan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:04 pm

John

You might want to look into some motorcycle throttle bodies. Is that an old inline six you're talking about. If so, the KZ1300 touring bikes had 2 venturi injectors on 6 cylinder inline motors.
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby 106-1194218389 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:41 pm

106-1194218389

Postby tweaks » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:41 am

John ,

sounds a great project you have there ....takes me back 30 years ...
There are injection throttle bodies available with the base of the bodies in the shape of the Weber DCOE..they are available in sizes from 40mm up to 55mm dia made by Jenvey and others...only trouble is they are $$$$.. If you have a lathe and or milling machine you can make your own easily enough ..I have for special, applications..
I am also sure that there is a triple side draft manifold been cast for Chevvies here or in NZ ...
I can look into that for you if you like...

Cheers

Lynds
tweaks

Postby 106-1194218389 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:15 pm

106-1194218389

Postby 106-1194218389 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:25 pm

btw Lynds,
I had a friend run away from Salt Lake City, Utah here in the USA and went to New Zealand. He absolutely loves it. He met a lady who was a widow and owned a big sheep enterprise over there. One year when he came visiting he brought us all gloves and boots made from the sheep skin with the wool still inside. Great stuff. He also was at a car show displaying a wheel line they were making in NZ. They looked similar to Centerlines but were a street version. He gave me 2 so he would not have to trasport them back. They are 14" by 7" wide and Chevy 4.75X5 bolt pattern. One polished and one brushed finished. That has to be 32 years ago, my word where has the time gone. OMG I just looked in the mirror! I am an old man!!!!
John
106-1194218389

Postby stef-1 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:16 am

I have a spreadsheet you can use to design a simple or elliptical bellmouth. If any one's interested I can email it to you.
stef-1

Postby slracer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:03 pm

Stef, Could you just attach it here? That makes it easier for everyone. Thanks, Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby 106-1194218389 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:17 pm

I hope Stef does not mind as I will attach this. It is really a good one and my hat is off to Stef on this one. It really saves a lot of labor with the old mind, and I reiterate the 'old" part for me.
John
106-1194218389

Postby bruce » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:29 pm

Ok, next question how does one machine the bell mouth?

Thanks for sharing!!
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 106-1194218389 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:46 pm

106-1194218389

Postby stef-1 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:38 am

Bruce raises a point - I usually use a CAD program to draw a template to check whilst machining the former. Although if you have CAD and CNC it's really easy to produce a former.
CAD also makes it very easy to draw an ellipse and I totally forgot about drawing it manually. I will look into calculating coordinates to allow manual drawing of a template. Would take a little while as I will have to find my original bellmouth notes!
stef-1

Postby bruce » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:34 am

Well being I have no CNC in my shop and my lathe is circa 1919, I'll have to find another way. I do have a taper attachment and could rig up some way to make it into a tracing/follower setup. I can handle the CAD part, then just transfer this to an alum blank, make a fixture for the lathe and use the blank as a pattern.

There problem solved . . . ???

On the other hand a radius cutter could be made to match the program radius callout for the bellmouth and used to cut the radius. Then use the taper attachment to cut the angle. This is how I currently do them for my carbs. I also machine my venturi into my velocity stack so that adds another "bonus" into the design, making sure the venturi ends up sitting in the correct place and width.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Next

Return to Airflow thoughts?