[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Carb problem

Carb problem

Share whatca have found? Brainstorming? Only open to members

Postby bruce » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:09 am

Need some thoughts on this one, I'm helping a pulling buddy out and have built a "modified" stock carb for his tractor. It is blowing fuel out of the bowl vent so somehow it is getting pressure in the venturi area and pushing the fuel back down the nozzle which in turn forces it out the bowl vent.

Now I do not know the specs on the cam and suspect it might be the overlap? Other thoughts would be exhaust pipe size to restrictive? The engine ran well over the weekend on the track and I was told it lugged really well which is what I was after.

I modified the nozzle for a higher fuel signal so it is much more sensitive than a stock nozzle so I'm sure this is highlighting this problem. I'm going to play with the float level and drop it down a tad.

What I design for is this; his engine runs on a governor at 4000rpm's as the engine pulls down the governor keeps the throttle plate wide open but airflow slows down and the engines run lean as they no longer pickup enough fuel to match the airflow. By playing with the fuel signal I am able to match the fuel signal to the airflow at lower rpm's/wide open throttle plate.

Any thoughts?
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby jfholm » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:15 pm

I had a similar problem once where we improved the airflow through the engine drastically and the carb was too small and started pressurizing at the venturi - was just not enough carb

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby John » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:17 pm

Does this problem occur across the whole rpm range or only at certain points? This sounds like something called fuel standoff or reversion.
John

Postby bruce » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:58 pm

I only played with this engine for a few minutes on Saturday afternoon, he needed it to work for Sunday. I'll have to get some additional info. I'm also leaning towards opening up the venturi some but, it's a fine line in the rules :;):

Quite possible it's valve float, I know it's got a wild cam in it for this class and stock springs I'm just not sure what the specs are.

I want to get it on my flowbench and see what it's doing before I cut anything.

Edited By bruce on 1240253986
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 49-1183904562 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:30 pm

[color=#000000]Bruce; Brass or Nitril float? I have had this issue with similar tractor motors of a major VTwin brand found on motorcycles :D
49-1183904562

Postby bruce » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:19 pm

It's my nozzle design for increased fuel signal, was using my float seat design but changed it back to stock when I thought that might be the problem.

Float is brass, seat was a ball design, now it's back to a stock brass needle. It was shaking really bad!

I'm going to have to work through one thing at a time to eliminate the problem. I'm getting the carb back in my shop this week sometime.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby slracer » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:50 am

I've got to follow this one closely! Last year at Bonneville I ran to the 3 mile mark (or tried to) and got a fuel starvation problem that sounds like this one. It would starve, nearly die, then crankup again. Only in the 3rd mile! The little Honda is turning near 9000 rpm and the outside of the carb was covered with the purple color dye used for fuel ID. Hope you find the problem! :D :D -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby slracer » Fri May 08, 2009 9:27 am

Bruce, Anything new on this problem / solution? Just interested! -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Return to Airflow thoughts?