[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Clay

Clay

Share whatca have found? Brainstorming? Only open to members

Postby Nick » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:07 am

I looked around and could not find out what kind of clay members are using for intake tests. I tried some plumbers puddy i had, but it came off and go sucked into the port. oopps. So what are you guys using?

Nick
Nick

Postby hollywood63 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:22 am

Nick I just use kids modeling clay that I bought at Wal-Mart. It was about 2 bucks I have molded both intake and exhaust with any problems
Art
hollywood63

Postby DaveW » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:15 am

Try to mix a little oil with the clay if it is hard or wont stick. Just a couple of drops.

Dave
DaveW

Postby larrycavan » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:01 am

Dollar store special.....The blue color is particularly nice.....
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby gofaster » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:27 am

The surface of the port should be clean enough to eat out of, and dry.
Jim
gofaster

Postby blown928 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:38 pm

I've borrowed some play dough from my kids for stuff like this.
Bill
'84 928s 5 sp. Vortech/749
blown928

Postby Thomas Vaught » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:49 pm

I will try and get the brand of the clay we use at work. Comes in 1" square sticks about 6 inches long.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby Mousehouse1 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:46 pm

Childrens clay from Wal-Mart here. I have had it come loose when the flow numbers get over 300cfm. That is why I am making a few intake radius's out of plexi-glass.
Mousehouse1

Postby Thomas Vaught » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:56 pm

Plexi or hard wood, both work well.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby Mousehouse1 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:29 am

Tom I never thought about using hard wood. Thanks for the idea. I have more of that laying around then I do plexi-glass.
Mousehouse1

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:06 am

I picked up some modeling clay at the store. I got some red, it feels nice and warm. It is OK, but I still managed to suck it into the bench. Could someone post a picture of how you set it up. If I flatten it out and make a nice round corner it stays. If I try to make it say, 3/8" tall with a nice round corner it gets pulled in. Also, just before it lets go, the numbers start to go up. I'm just goofing around here with an old 289 head, all 165cfm worth.

Nick
Nick

Postby Thomas Vaught » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:16 pm

Why I use hardwood.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby Mouse » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:38 pm

Be careful of what you use if you are working with someones $1000.00 heads. Some materials have salt and water or other corrosive chemicals in them, which can cause problems if left on too long.

Plumbers putty is oil based, will not corrode aluminum or steel.
Mouse

Postby Thomas Vaught » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:57 pm

I wish I had some $1000.00 heads. Most of the stuff I usually work with costs from 3K to 5K (for a Traditional Pontiac). Ouch!

When I use a hardwood radiused entry, after the radius is created, I typically put a couple of coats of varnish on the virgin wood to seal it.

I have never had an issue with any corrosion to this point but agree that it could happen.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby larrycavan » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:02 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Next

Return to Airflow thoughts?