[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Useful Websites for Racing Tech

Useful Websites for Racing Tech

Place to post/discuss programs & spreadsheets useful for flowbenching. FPExcel, Pipemax etc . . .

Postby 106-1194218389 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:35 pm

This is an extremely good article by Professor Blair that says back to basics, but is pretty intense. It does tie what we are doing together. As I read it I found myself many times saying to myself, "oh yeah, I get it now". I am going to have to read it many times because if it is "basic" I am still an ameoba or swamp gas. Has many many formulas that will be helpful to our endeavors. You may want to bookmark his home page also.

John :p
106-1194218389

Postby 86rocco1 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:25 pm

Basic indeed! I've got a BSc in math so I'm feeling slightly more evolved than swamp gas but it's times like this that I realize how long it's been since I finished school and that my brain appears to have turned into mush during the intervening years. I'd need to read that over several times in order to come to grips with what's there.
86rocco1

Postby larrycavan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:04 pm

Professor Blair is about 3.5 galaxies beyoned most of us mortal gear heads...Would be really interesting to buy the guy dinner and drinks to see what he could convey in one on one conversation though..

I'd like to also take a month and just hang out at Larry Meaux's shop...just stay back out of the way and see what rubbed off....fetch coffee, lunch..sweep the floor...whatever....some of the knowledge has to be observable... :D

Edited By larrycavan on 1206754230
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:38 pm

"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby larrycavan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:06 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby maxracesoftware » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:38 am

i just read
this Thread . (Poetry) :)

Bruce and Larry C.
i might take a long vacation this Summer and
visit you Guys !!!
maxracesoftware

Postby bruce » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:23 am

"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 106-1194218389 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:19 am

Prof. Blair sells a simulation software. I am sure it is great stuff, but I sent an email to get the price and it is about 499 pound British Sterling. That is $1000 USD. I will have to pass right now sorry guys. But I was thinking it may be fun sometime to have a get together in a centrally located area.
106-1194218389

Postby WPH » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:37 pm

Lotus Engineering Software, has a free
engine simulation (look under downloads). It is limited to a single cylinder in demo mode and it has a limited number of actuators/sensors.
Haven't had a time to check it out yet.
Pekka
WPH

Postby racehead-1 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:04 pm

[color=#000000]I have talked with Bruce over the phone, on the idea of having a forum get together, like in a weekend . It would be nice to turn this idea to reality, this year maybe in the spring or summer.
I live in Europe and do need some time ahead to plan my vacation.
OK! Let
racehead-1

Postby jsa » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:15 pm

I've trialled the full multi cylinder version of the Lotus software, quite powerful and flexible software, really brings home how the 4 stroke gas exchange process works.

It was $40000 to buy a copy or $5000 a month to lease.

The software's authors are in the same league as Blair. They have also authored 2 books on the subject, one theoretical (all heavy maths) and one more practical. Well worth the effort to read both.
Cheers

John
jsa

Postby maxracesoftware » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:24 pm

[quote="racehead-1"][color=#000000]I have talked with Bruce over the phone, on the idea of having a forum get together, like in a weekend . It would be nice to turn this idea to reality, this year maybe in the spring or summer.
I live in Europe and do need some time ahead to plan my vacation.
OK! Let
maxracesoftware

Postby larrycavan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:23 pm

On man....it's the pass around plates all over again...but this time with people!!!..... :D

Edited By larrycavan on 1206753852
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby larrycavan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:37 pm

Not a website and probably not easy to find now....I've had my copy since the early 80s....is Gordon Jennings "2 Stroke Tuner's Handbook". It's where I first came across the math behind the engine tuning process. Built a good foundation for everything that came after it.

The first serious 2 stroke porting I ever did for true, race only motorcycles came directly from formulas in that book. Great Results!

Gordon had been one of my all time favorite authors of technical articles for many years. When the Internet first got popular he started a site called Wheelbase. I discovered it an joined straight away. I never had the opportunity to meet him in person but we did have some interesting telephone conversations, emails and online discussions...

RIP GJ

Larry C

Edited By larrycavan on 1206754655
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby 86rocco1 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:45 pm

Hey Larry, I googled "Gordon Jennings" and I found this, along with the complete book in PDF.
86rocco1

Next

Return to Useful Programs & Spreadsheets for flowbenchin'