[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Surplus Center 1234 Motors - Vac Flow Testing

Surplus Center 1234 Motors - Vac Flow Testing

Place to post/discuss programs & spreadsheets useful for flowbenching. FPExcel, Pipemax etc . . .

Postby 1960flh » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:45 pm

[color=#000000]Ok;

Finally got my test rig going and setup a 150 inch monometer, I ran four tests on each orifice size as follows.

1. Single motor full speed.
2. Two motors in parallel (standard build configuration)
3. Two motors in series one feeding the other
4. Four motors two feeding two.

What I learned was that as Tony predicted the performance gains of a two stage system are minimal but you get twice as much noise . I put the data in a combined sheet using Larry
HP = Torque x RPM / 5252
1960flh

Postby Thomas Vaught » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:47 pm

If I am reading the air flow correctly, you are pulling a lot of amps and
not getting much flow benefit. A single 115923 Ametek vacuum motor (two stage) will pull around 123 cfm with 13 amps. You were pulling 140 cfm with several motors at 57 amps?

A SF 600 bench only pulls 37 amps on each leg on a 220 circuit (Two 110
motors joined together to act like a 220 motor). Bench has 4 motor pairs
or 8 motors.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby 1960flh » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:15 pm

Tom;

Thanks for looking at this i am still trying to grasp it all.

Not sure which sheet you were looking at but to clairify the the Main data sheet is actual testing the other taps were just my plugging the single motor data from the main sheet into Terry's spreadsheet. (This could be all wrong).

My amp probe only has 1 amp resolution on the 0 to 15 scale but an unloaded Surplus motor drew 7 amps blocked off and 8-9 amps at full flow. If you look at the 2 motor (Parallel) you should see i flowed about 246cfm at what would be 16 to 18 amps. Maybe i am not understanding what i am looking at since i am new to this, that is why i am looking for review.

My conclusion from the test and what i hope i am presenting is that as Tony warned me Two motors in Prallel performed allmost equal to 4 motors (two pairs in series) at twice the current draw. I also grasped that motors in series can pull a substantial depresion up untill the oriface size reaches about 2/3rds the motor opening then it falls off quick this all adds little value to what we are trying to do on a flow bench.

But i hope the main data sheet at least give an honest representation of the 1234 motor performance.

Just my thoughts,

Rick
HP = Torque x RPM / 5252
1960flh

Postby 1960flh » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:23 am

Edit to above post had to add reply as i could not attach a new file;

I cleaned up the sheet a little as i did not see the old current draw figures in it. To clairify when i use the terms series and parallel i am speaking to air flow not current flow i reread my post and see it could be confusing.

Rick
HP = Torque x RPM / 5252
1960flh

Postby jsa » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:18 am

[color=#000000][quote="1960flh"][/quote]
Rick,

I'm just a toddler here but I'll comment seeing as I am doing a similar config.

I did a bit of preliminary testing of 2 motors, with air in series, electricity in parallel, to double the pressure and do some testing at around 100"H
Cheers

John
jsa

Postby 1960flh » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:20 am

john;

The motors were all 120v 60hz motor all run in paralell. Not i have 400amp 240v split main service in the shop and and 2 motors ran on one 120v legg and on the other off the second 120v legg. I did amp prope reading on each motor in dividually and they all read verry close on full flow load.

On my sheet I would pay little atention to the multi motor extrapolation as i figured Terry's sheet is just multiplying single motor figures. The main data sheet is true tested numbers and since i was not sure i re ran the test yeaterday and got the same figures across the board within +- 1/16 on the scale.

Hope this clairifies things.

Rick
HP = Torque x RPM / 5252
1960flh

Postby jsa » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:27 pm

Cheers

John
jsa

Postby 1960flh » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:43 am

Thanks John;

I have some more discusion i would like to have on this topic and am going to post the questons under Techniques as I do not whant the get off on a tangent in the formulas/data ection.

Rick
HP = Torque x RPM / 5252
1960flh

Return to Useful Programs & Spreadsheets for flowbenchin'