[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - How many - is enough? - For ranges..

How many - is enough? - For ranges..

Pitot Style Bench discussions

Postby Ken73 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:39 pm

After careful consideration of my current flowbench design, I'm really wondering - how many tubes do I need? Originally, I planned on 4 tubes; 1.5", 2", 2.5", and 3" .. only to discover that I don't think anyone makes 2.5" PVC (well, at least my Lowe's doesn't carry it if someone does.) So I figured I'd leave 2.5" out and have a 3 tube design.

Then it hit me - is it possible to pull through two pitot tubes at once, have two seperate manometers for each one, and simply add the two together? i.e., only have two tubes - say 1.5" and 2" - then for the larger flow range, run both tubes? Similar to how a 3-way bulb works.. it has two seperate bulbs of differing wattage that can be turned on seperately, or both to obtain a maximum.

Are there any ramifications to this..?
Ken73

Postby 2seater » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:16 pm

This sounds like the bypass idea to extend the range, but since both would measured, it should be possible to make the readings additive without a problem. Maybe a little complex, but the theory shoud be solid. Twin or multiple tubes on a single scale would look like a set of carb stiks but would avoid the possibility of multiple scales skewing the results. Interesting idea. 2.5" pvc is an odd size and would probably have to be ordered. I lucked out and found a scrap piece at work. Adapters are almost impossible to find too. I had to make a homemade bushing on the ends to fit a 3" fernco.
2seater

Postby Ken73 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:48 am

Then I guess that begs the idea - how about two 2" tubes? That way you know you're getting the exact same measurement from tube to tube, you just multiply the reading by two if you're running both. (Or three or four 1.5" tubes?) Run knife gates on all of them....?
Ken73

Postby 2seater » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:01 pm

I guess I would never assume the flow is equal through one or more tubes, at least not without testing. It sounds appealing, and would be convenient if it worked, but air flow can be a funny thing that sometimes defies logic. I would certainly verify the theory with an independant flow tube to gather he total in or outflowto see if it agrees with the projected results.
2seater

Postby trader » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:48 pm

According to Andy Orlowski (tech) at Dwyer, and in reference to their DS 300 series flow sensors, I quote:

"To achieve laminar flow, we normally recommend about 8 pipe diameters upstream and 5 pipe diameters downstream of the sensor. Depending on the obstacles before and after the flow sensor, you might need a little longer, but that should give you a good idea."

If you have two 2" tubes, 26" long, and one has a pitot in it and one doesn't, do you think they would both flow the same cfm?
Changing one thing, changes everything...
trader

Postby Ken73 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:03 pm

If I put a dummy pitot tube in the other to duplicate the "obstacles" in the other tube? I would think so, yea.. in your scenario though, where one does and the other doesn't, probably not (exactly.)
Ken73

Postby jsa » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:27 pm

Cheers

John
jsa

Return to Pitot Style Bench discussion