[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Well, pitot on it, a pitot bench it will be.

Well, pitot on it, a pitot bench it will be.

Pitot Style Bench discussions

Postby Jesse Lackman » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:46 pm

I read old posts from this board and the old board until 2am this morning and decided on using one of those pitot flow tuber do-jobbers with the FP-1.

My reasons will remain private for a while because I really don't know what I'm doing.

Plus this way I will have someone very visible and specific to blame for any problems, that person being Bruce.

The pitot flow tube will go in the Mercdog bench. I don't know where just yet.

The flow will be reversable through the pitot flow tube and head fixture, because it's logical to me, on superficial level at least, to suck from the chamber through the intake valve and blow from the chamber through the exhaust valve.

I'd like the bench running by this year's end.

There I said it, now hang on.....
Jesse Lackman

Jesse Lackman

Postby blownS10blazer » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:30 am

So how's it goin' Jesse? I am new to this site and presently gathering information to build my own flowbench and I know nothing about it, yet. Are you making progress? Just curious.
Steve
blownS10blazer

Postby Jesse Lackman » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:43 pm

Ok Bruce and anyone else who cares get your averaging pitot tubes in here.

Reference drawing;

I want to eliminate the orifice plate mounting board, can anyone think of a reason why it would be needed?

The valve chamber would be open like this;

I'm considering an interchangable 2" and 3" averaging pitot tube flow element.

Could an accurate averaging pitot tube element with flow straighteners fit vertically in the valve chamber area?

It would be possible to extend the averaging pitot tube section below the valve chamber bottom into the motor chamber, that would require a sealed pipe loop in the motor chamber feeding the pitot element/test fixture from the valve chamber. One could do the same thing but use the upper open back of the bench for the pitot flow section. This area remains open, has 51" vertical height. The potential problem would be multiple bends used in bringing the air out of the valve chamber, up/down the back, back into the valve chamber to the head test fixture. However if one used flow straighteners bends away from the averaging pitot tube element probably would affect ultimate flow capacity and not hurt accuracy.

If the averaging pitot tube element were mounted in the upper back area the pipe going back into the valve chamber and turning up to the head test fixture might need a flow straightener. It could be a pretty tight bend up to the head test fixture if routed through the valve chamber.

Wheels still turning......
Jesse Lackman

Jesse Lackman

Postby Jesse Lackman » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:52 pm

Boy, that is strange, every place I used the word "averaging pitot tube" in the compost post box got changed to "averaging pitot tube" in the preview post box and in the actual post.

Here is proof;

What is the hidden meaning of that?
Jesse Lackman

Jesse Lackman

Postby Jesse Lackman » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:57 pm

anubar

averaging pitot tube

annubur under the saddle

I guess I just have to deliberately misspell a n n u b a r

This is a strange way for Bruce to show he is the A n n u b a r King of this forum.
Jesse Lackman

Jesse Lackman

Postby bruce » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:58 pm

The word "a n n u b a r " is a registered product name so the forum is setup to change it to averaging pitot tube.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:12 pm

Here is a few pics of the back of my bench, My cabinet is about the same size as what you are working with. These pics are kinda outdated, I'll see if I can take some new ones.

Should give you some ideas?
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Jesse Lackman » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:38 pm

Thanks Bruce.

I've been reading about different averaging pitot tube shapes specifically elliptical.

This shape evidently has accuracy and turndown advantages.

If the turndown can be increased one would not have to have two flow sections, the entire flow range could be covered with one section.

This averaging pitot shape is interesting;

What I don't understand is how the hp and lp sources are seperated in the tube. An averaging pitot tube is obviously more than a simple piece of tubing.
Jesse Lackman

Jesse Lackman

Postby Mouse » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:29 pm

Jesse,

Really good looking bench and workmanship!

I have to say, however, I really don't know how you will be able to fit a Pitot tube type flow element into there. But, that's just me. I hope you can do it.

If you have to make a sharp turn, do it by splitting the air path with a Y and then make the turn using another Y. We call those a "Tighty-Righty" (Tight Right angle turn).

John
Mouse

Postby Jesse Lackman » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:06 pm

John, I re-read that flowbench accuracy speedtalk thread last night, very good information there. That's what prompted the pitot tube shape post above.

Are you referring to the fitting the pitot tube element in the valve chamber?

The only way I think that would work is if I offset the head flow fixture and ran the vertical piping feeding the head fixture through the motor chamber. I think there would be enough length that way but reversing the pitot for flow reversal presents a problem. That might mean the pitot tube element might be better mounted on the upper back of the bench. The pitot would be easily accessible from the front manometer panel for reversal.
Jesse Lackman

Jesse Lackman

Postby bruce » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:53 pm

Yes an averaging pitot can be as simple as a single tube, I use one everyday and its repeatable and accurate for a flowbench application. Its nothing more than a brass tube drilled with 6 holes using dimensions from the airflow industry for duct traversing. Additional, I have seen no flow problems on my bench with the 90* turn. I do have a section right after the turn with a honeycomb flow straightener. I found this made actually no difference in flow readings on my bench.

On the averaging pitot that I make the velocity pressure is measured with the pitot and there is a seperate static pickup located 1/2" in front of its location. These two are feed into a FP1 which gives me my readings on my laptop. I take my static test depression pickup in the chamber just below my test peice. This is a .062" hole drilled into the chamber wall with a fitting on the outside.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Mouse » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:52 pm

Mouse

Postby Jesse Lackman » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:49 pm

Jesse Lackman

Jesse Lackman

Postby Jesse Lackman » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:02 pm

Quick reply here Bruce, interesting that the honeycomb straightener didn't change the readings.

I think the critical areas re accuracy and repeatibility will be;

the pitot tube section which should include upstream and downstream flow straighteners

and

the piping leading to the test fixture, I think flow straighteners there would be a good idea, (especially if the bench reverses flow for exhaust testing).

I think one could put all the bends you wanted outside of those two areas and all it would do is affect total flow, and not do much to the accuracy or repeatability of the bench. (Of course the bench and piping between the pitot section and cylinder head would have to have no leaks for this to be the case, your 90 seems to bear this out.)

However, I do reserve the right to be wrong.
Jesse Lackman

Jesse Lackman

Postby Mouse » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:19 am

Mouse

Next

Return to Pitot Style Bench discussion