[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - difference between pitot and orifice

difference between pitot and orifice

Pitot Style Bench discussions

Postby larrycavan » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:38 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby maxracesoftware » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:50 pm

maxracesoftware

Postby racehead » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:49 pm

Bruce,Now I am stuck with your pitot tube flowbench.
Well , I am learning the hard way :D
racehead

Postby Tony » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:34 pm

Ha-ha, we are all learning. I am on bench design number four right now. Flow benching is like a compulsive addiction.

Once you build your first flow bench, there is no escape....
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby whtrthanu » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:09 pm

Max, a good friend of mine who also does some of my machine work to help me out has a converted 300 bench(600 now), we often send head back and forth to check the benches, the low lift number are very close, but after .350 lift the bigger bench is about 1-2.5 cfm higher than the 110....mostly on the bigger flowing heads, it could be that my motors are weaker, or just my power supply isnt getting 120 volts.......but as far as the exh flow the are almost identical....
my bench was built in 99 so it probably has some different internals than your old 110 did
whtrthanu

Postby whtrthanu » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:12 pm

Larry, how do I go about getting the wiring figured out, is there a schematic available?, or am i gonna be like fire marshal bill and just hope for the best...........
whtrthanu

Postby larrycavan » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:46 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:41 pm

Quote:

"Water guages are fine and dandy except when you're porting a lot of heads. To make them is relatively inexpensive. You get what you pay for or put the effort into designing properly.
They're fine for the average guy just tinkering in the garage. If you spend considerable time actually using your flowbench for porting heads, you'll probably want to move on up to a good electronic setup. I've never talked to anyone who did and regretted it."

Ford Research uses (as many on this board knows if they were involved in the "Plates" study) a several million dollar electronics package to read and document test results.

That being said, our "Flow Lab" for the majority of the normal work we do every day still uses fixed orifice plates in a large drum type plenum ( with an access door) and rubber stoppers. The benches are one direction benches. They ALL use water manometers for the orifice flow numbers on large length inclined meters. We did swap out the mercury pressure manometers for digital stuff but the rest of the bench stayed the say. Why? Because they worked and worked well.

The lab guys don't get paid by the hour so they can take more time and they only run the test once. LOL!

Tom V.
thomasvaught-1

Postby whtrthanu » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:28 pm

Ok so now i have alot of my bench project figured out....
Onto the head dvelopment questions!!!! :D

How come most of these engine development programs are geared towards car type engines...Even the flow program you sent me Larry, it doesnt jive with my dyno results.....
Most of my builds are bike motors, inline 4 cyl, 4 valves...
I seem to always figure on .4hp per cfm per cyl...depending on the compression and the cams it can go up or down between .36-.42..........The power always seems to be off from these programs.............
whtrthanu

Postby larrycavan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:48 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby larrycavan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:52 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby whtrthanu » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:35 pm

Larry, i port differently than the conventional copy cat bike shops out there...
There are alot of shops filling ports like you said, Ive been down that road, always the wrong way in power on the big motors.....
Most of the guys will talk about a critical choke point, and velocity, and keep shrinking the port until it is just a turd.......
Im my opinion, there are alot of ways to skin a cat, as long as you are getting good results keep on going down the same road of development.....
Now, about the air speed in the port :D
where is the most critical area to hurt the port?
would it be along the short side radius,or by the mcsa?

Mike
whtrthanu

Postby larrycavan » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:16 am

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby sleeper sedan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:30 pm

Guys, I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for a short while now but I got to tell you... Thanks for you contributions. I've got a bit more research to do, that's without a doubt and the title of this post certainly gave me a quick pro/con of flowbenches.
I've got a SF600 at my disposal and have used it over the years with great success but, I've got an every increasing need for a larger capacity flowbench... Right now I'm thinking 1,300 cfm @ 20.4" Is this doable...? Dunno. Will I have to step up and use a 30 HP belt belt driven GMC 6-71? <chuckling> I'm going to find out.
In the end it's a learning thing for me, the wife calls it an obsession. I've got money to buy some nice pieces (accuracy and electronics are good) but looking for something more than just writing a check for a newer, larger commercial flowbench.

Clark
sleeper sedan

Previous

Return to Pitot Style Bench discussion