[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - New member, comments on my bench.

New member, comments on my bench.

Pitot Style Bench discussions

Postby Thomas Vaught » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:40 pm

Your sketch looks a lot like our professional Venturi flow bench at Ford.

We use electronic controllers for the flow range valves but you could easily do it with manual valves.

I have a bare garage wall that I have looked at many many times as a potential flow bench mounting point. LOL!

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby jsa » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:28 pm

Cheers

John
jsa

Postby Stef » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:56 pm

Thank you for the comments again. I guess I'm getting a little fussy over accuracy. Since looking at the thread on the plate results I feel I can relax a little and focus on repeatability.

I'm still trying to pick between orifice and pitot though lol

Stef
Stef

Postby Tony » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:51 am

I guess it depends upon the required number of switched flow ranges required.

While the pitot in a tube is conceptually simple, range changing is going to be much more complex than a bunch of orifice plates arranged around a large rotating circular turret.

In my bench, my eight range orifice turret is two feet in diameter and takes up one wall of my settling chamber. Very simple, and I use an automotive steering wheel on the side of my bench to change flow ranges.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby Stef » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:22 pm

Tony,

Range changing is still a problem with the pitot arrangement, especially after I priced the valves needed to switch to different pipe diameters. Our DIY depots don't seem to have those white PVC gate valves that you guys have. I'm having to look at industrial piping valves which are expensive.
I'm leaning towards using an orifice plate(s) at present so I'm researching that more thoroughly.
I want to build something simple at first.
Stef

Postby evilgeniuscycleworks » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:20 am

After a lot of reading and looking at designs, I think I will go with a pitot design. I saw a design on the internet that seems fairly simple. It uses a single tube, an analog to digital converter to read out to a lap top. Does anyne have any opinions or sugestions?

John
evilgeniuscycleworks

Postby Stef » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:31 pm

Was this a complete device that you buy or one you build yourself? Got any links?
Stef

Postby evilgeniuscycleworks » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:33 pm

It was both as a kit or do it yourself it was called EZ flow
John
evilgeniuscycleworks

Postby 1960flh » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:09 pm

John; I am right there with you except I would suggest that you set the text books aside for another week or so and just read as many of the posts as you can from the forums beginning. I myself am a new member to the forum and sure wish Bruce could sell cliff notes because the wife gets p___ every time I bring the laptop to bed lol!

I think another week or two and I will be on my third bench without touching a part? Larry was right when he referred the obsession Day, Night, Work etc in one of his posts. I can
HP = Torque x RPM / 5252
1960flh

Postby Tony » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:51 pm

Ha-ha, yes ! Time spent here reading and pondering, in flow bench nirvana can be far more productive than just blindly sawing and drilling away out in the back shed. At least to begin with. This is definitely the place...

And all of it due to the effort and dedication of Bruce.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby bruce » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:25 pm

"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Stef » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:56 am

Yes, this site is indeed a great resource. I've been reading posts over and over again trying to get all the answers to my questions. There's no where else on the net that deals with flowbenches like here. It's great to get other peoples thoughts on my ideas and to perhaps spark other thoughts.

Bruce, during my research, I've accumulated quite a number of interesting pdfs on flow measurement. I was wondering if I could email them to you. You could review them and perhaps host them on here so that others can make use of this information too. What do you think?
Stef

Postby bruce » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:44 pm

Sure send them to me via email, I have plenty of space on my host to host them.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 1960flh » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:00 pm

Bruce; I will have and new T1 in by the second/?? week of January hopfully, with Comcast Business Service as a redundent ISP for secondary mail. If you need someone to host a storage site i would be glad to help. Just shoot me an e-mail and we can discuss the details.

Rick
HP = Torque x RPM / 5252
1960flh

Previous

Return to Pitot Style Bench discussion