[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Pitot?

Pitot?

Pitot Style Bench discussions

Postby bearwen » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:43 pm

Ok a few times I have been told to go with a pitot tube setup. Heres my question if I want ot make my own pitot tube can I use 1/8" copper tube give it a bend of 90 degrees and put it in the air stream? with another copper tube flush at the wall of the tube does the flush pipe go before or after the pitot in the flow tube. Also I am assuming that I can build a box put a pvc pipe to another box and the pitot goes in the pvc pipe about centered how do Iknow how long and how big around the tube needs to be and also I assume that the vertical manometer will be in the intake box and the incline meter well one end goes to the pitot in the flow and the other end goes to the pipe at the pvc pipe wall correct? now how do I make an incline scale for a ptiot tube setup? Can I use just the 1/8" copper for the pitot or does it need to be filled in the tip and machined machined? If someone could give a crash course on making a pitot tube and a pitot tube bench with how everything is put togetther where everything goes and the formulas to figure out what sizes lengths and how to measure the flow and calculate cfm etc that would be great.
bearwen

Postby slracer » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:40 pm

Bearwen, Here are 3 threads that describe my pitot bench. I'm testing on a 6 ci motor so not too much different from yours. I have a 1-1/2 ID inch PVC pipe as my primary flow element and a 2 in which I can bolt in. To get better numbers, you should look at an Averaging Pitot Tube as the velocity profile across the tube is NOT uniform and the APT adjusts for that. Bruce makes a really nice one, easy to install!

First thread (during construction):

Second thread (during test & calibration):

Third thread (photo only):

This will probably lead to more questions, but the basics worked out pretty good! With 2 surplus vac motors, I can pull about 70CFM at 28 inches depression. Unless Larry C tells me otherwise, I think that is about 25% more than the head will allow! :p -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Return to Pitot Style Bench discussion