[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - KISS Pitot bench design

KISS Pitot bench design

Pitot Style Bench discussions

Postby blown928 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:24 pm

Bill
'84 928s 5 sp. Vortech/749
blown928

Postby Mouse » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:17 pm

Bill,

Refering to the relation of your test hole to the air source: If you place an orifice on the edge of your test hole nearest the air source, then move the orifice to the oposite edge of the test hole, the flow rate through your orifice may change because of the different angles the air can take through the test hole to the air source. If the air source is located directly below the test hole, this angle does not change.

John
Mouse

Postby blown928 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:33 pm

And would a tube under the test hole with a flow straightener fix that potential problem?
Bill
blown928

Postby Mouse » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:12 pm

Hard to say. The only way to know is to try it. Air flow is very sensitive to changes and even harder to predict.

John
Mouse

Postby Mouse » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:30 pm

Just putting this thread back on top

John
Mouse

Postby blown928 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:17 pm

The KISS pressure sensor is up and runing. 2 differential channels, runs off a wall wart and outputs an analog voltage to my Dataq data logger....

Bill
blown928

Postby Thomas Vaught » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:10 pm

Nice, let up know how it performs.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby Nick » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:14 am

I've been looking for sensors, where did you get yours? I was just looking at the Dataq site. I would be interested in doing something very similar. I saw you can also export data directly to excel.

Nick
Nick

Postby 86rocco » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:14 am

I recognize those sensors, they're the MPX2010DP by (aka Motorola), they're 0-10 mB differential pressure sensor, they're available from for $14.43 each. Personally, I'd prefer the MPX5010DP sensor instead, it's very similar except that it's output is amplified to fall inside the range of 0-5v, they're also available from digikey for $18.34.

There are also a couple of nice sensors in the Freescale MPXV7000 series, these sensor are similar to the MPX5000 series except they are bidirectional for example, the MPXV7007DP's range goes from -7.0 to + 7.0 mb, so there'd be no need to swap hoses or the like when switching from intake to exhaust. Honeywell also has some very nice bidrectional sensors but they tend to be a bit more pricey and harder to come by.
86rocco

Postby blown928 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:42 pm

Bill
blown928

Postby blown928 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:29 pm

Bill
blown928

Postby blown928 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:30 pm

Wow, must be more beat up that i thought, I'm seeing double!
Bill
blown928

Postby Nick » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:22 am

My brothers are computer nuts, and insist that my old school manometers could be replaced with electronics to make life easier. So here is my question. If I used the sensors that had amplified voltage already, how do I wire it up. I was thinking that 2 pins go to 5v power and the other 2 go to the Data. Is it that easy? Are you willing to share your schematics? I'm not trying to put John out of business here, But I've built everything else on this property, so why stop now.

Nick
Nick

Postby 86rocco » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:50 am

If your brothers are true computer geeks, you're more than halfway there, the toughest part is getting the software right, the hardware's easy.

First you'll need something to hook the sensors up to, a data aquistion device, personally I'll be using the but that's really overkill for this job, make a couple nice low cost units, either the DI-194RS or the DI-148U should do nicely. Then of course you'll need the the sensors, something like the , that sensor requires only 3 wires, a +5v supply voltage, signal voltage and a ground which is shared by both the supply and signal circuits. Hook the power and ground to the sensor with a decoupling capacitor close to the sensor, also hook the same ground up to the signal ground of the data logger and the signal voltage up to one of the analog inputs of the data logger.
86rocco

Postby blown928 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:17 am

The amplifier schematic I'm using is in this application note....
Bill
blown928

PreviousNext

Return to Pitot Style Bench discussion