[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - A sad day in pitot land . . .

A sad day in pitot land . . .

Pitot Style Bench discussions

Postby bruce » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:30 pm

I spent this morning dismantling my old pitot style flowbench. With the new PTS orifice bench up and running with PTS digital gauges my old flowbench was just outdated and taking up valuable floor space in my shop.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby msj442 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:37 pm

all the more reason to think i made the right choice on my build. sorry for a sad day bruce, but like they say "keep moving forward".

max
msj442

Postby jfholm » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:51 pm

I have my black arm band on for you and will think of you when I see my Flowquik and orifice in a tube. :;):

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby larrycavan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:51 am

One small step for man.....One giant leap.....Well, you know how the rest of that goes..... :;):

Edited By larrycavan on 1234511522
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby 49-1183904562 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:21 pm

Bruce?

Now how are we going to test the DM and FlowSoft for the Pitot Guy's!

:p

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby bruce » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:55 pm

We got Doug, he's a good "guinea pig" . . . . . . I didn't say I threw the parts away, just got rid of the big ole box in the shop. When you see my shop you'll know why I took it apart for the room.

I can put the parts back together if/when the time comes for that.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby slracer » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:25 am

Hey Bruce, That's an insult! I have some very nice guinea pigs for friends! -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby Tony » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:00 am

Ah Bruce, this is like a religious conversion.
Away from the pitot sect, and being baptised as an orifice bench true believer.
May the force be with you.

Moving your pitot bench is highly symbolic.
A great many of the orifice followers were concerned that you had been seduced by the dark side..
All hail the mighty orifice.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby GordonE » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:59 am

Bruce, can you explain why you think is better with orifice benches?
I am now running my pitot with a 2.5" mesuring pipe. And it seems that I can get good accuracy without switching measuring elements.

I understand that its more comparable with superflow benches, but for me it seems better to strive towards accuracy than a flowbench standard.

Regards Gordon
Mercedes Improver from Sweden
GordonE

Postby Tony » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:32 am

Absolute accuracy is far less important than repeatability (for what we are doing).

A constant fixed unvarying error can be lived with.
Something that has a changing error from hour to hour and day to day can drive you nuts, because nothing ever repeats.

What you really want to know is, has a certain subtle modification gained or lost a very small increment of airflow since the last time it was tested. And that could be one hour ago, or two years ago.

The beauty of an orifice bench is that no corrections are necessary to make very repeatable measurements. You just measure the percentage flow on your sloping manometer, and that never changes, day, night, summer or winter.

The trick here is that the exact same mass of air flows through first the test piece, then the reference orifice. The "quality" of that air makes no difference to the readings. The relationship between the two resulting pressure drops always stays the same.

A pitot bench on the other hand, will read differently every day, and you need to precisely compensate for the temperature and barometric pressure every single reading you take. That is laborious and prone to errors creeping in, even if it is all done with a computer.
Tony

Postby bruce » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:57 am

Tony summed it up but let me add . . . simplicity of design. Simple plate change if I need to change ranges as apposed to different size flow elements. Reverse flow is also a dream to do, flip a plate and slider, throw two toggle switches and change a Cd if required in the software. Maybe 1-2 minutes total and you are flowing exhaust.

Plus, I'm using my PTS bench design with my PTS digital manometer and not someone else's product anymore. That in itself was a symbolic event!! :)

Edited By bruce on 1234616330
bruce
Site Admin

Postby jfholm » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:46 pm

It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby larrycavan » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:55 pm

Why I can remember the days when I was attacked for making statements like some of the ones in this thread.....Ohhhhhh how times have changed :;):
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Tony » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:22 am

Larry, I believe the level of knowledge and understanding here has increased hugely, because we each share our ideas, experiences, and knowledge freely and openly.

Some other Forums are unfortunately infested with egos, and aggressive commercial marketing.
Tony

Postby bruce » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:52 am

What can I say Larry, you had a big influence on my "change" :D

Tony's post hits it on the head as to what this forum represents to those wanting to build a flowbench, a non-hostile place to go and find the info and the people to help them along no matter what style they choose . . .

Larry, you've been in my shop and know I lack floor space so something had to go.
bruce
Site Admin

Return to Pitot Style Bench discussion