[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Pitot style pro's and con's

Pitot style pro's and con's

Pitot Style Bench discussions

Postby Shawn » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:38 am

Hi,
I hope i'm not stepping on anybody's toes with this, but what are the pro's and con's to the different styles of pitot's/averaging pitot tube's that are commonly used? I see various styles out there, but have yet to find any hard data as to why one style is better than the other.
thanks,
shawn
Shawn

Postby riga team » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:33 am

riga team

Postby 2seater » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:15 pm

I am guessing you are inquiring about different styles of pitot sensing devices? I too have seen many different styles but I only have experience with the averaging style made by Bruce. They appear to work quite well and have been checked against machined orifice plates to verify the calibration of the flow tube is correct. I suspect many different styles will work fine, although it is a good idea to check the flow indication against a known standard.
2seater

Postby Shawn » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:29 pm

Shawn

Postby 2seater » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:15 pm

The only way to answer that would be to try several types and compare the results. Some are quite expensive and I too have seen the claims about the proper shape and such. I do believe the averaging type does make the most sense, and it may be completely true about various shapes ??? The ones from Bruce are reasonably priced, help support the forum and work well for me. I use six sizes from 1" through 3" and three calibration orifices for comparison. Perhaps there is some information to be gleaned from the pass around plate tests if different types of pitot units were used for the testing?
2seater

Postby bruce » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:34 pm

Well I have seen no difference in my flow element/averaging pitot compared to the FP flow element design on my bench. I've not compared them to any other style of pitot setup.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:16 pm

I figured that was the case, that there really isn't to big of a difference using them to measure in the manner that we need. I'm going to get one from Bruce, but was curious to see if anyone else had tested them in that way.
thanks,
shawn
Shawn

Return to Pitot Style Bench discussion