[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - home made water brake (topic continuation)

home made water brake (topic continuation)

Postby DaveMcLain » Sun May 06, 2007 12:24 pm

I think the idea of using a torque converter as a basis for building a water brake is a sound idea. I wonder if it would be best to use antifreeze/water and recirculate it as the fluid instead of water from the water main to prevent corrosion.
DaveMcLain

Postby 86rocco » Sun May 06, 2007 1:04 pm

Tony, That's sound pretty cool! I'd love to check out your posts on the metalcasting forums, which forums did you post on and what's your username over there?
86rocco

Postby Tony » Sun May 06, 2007 8:44 pm

The website is "Backyard Metalcasting.com" and here is a direct link to the Forum:

What those guys are doing is fairly primitive, but they are getting some surprisingly good results with fairly unsophisticated low cost home built equipment. Their methods would certainly enable you to successfully cast an aluminium dyno rotor and housing at home. Or even a bronze one.

I post over there as "Warpspeed", but although I take a peek at that Forum every day, I have not posted there for several weeks.

One thing has lead to another, and I have now decided to design and construct my own 15Kw induction furnace. That type of project is technically way beyond the people over at "Backyard Metalcasting".

My induction furnace project is rapidly gaining quite a bit of interest over at the "CNC Zone.com" Forum. The thread now runs to eleven pages and has had over 9,000 views so far, and I have hardly started the project. It will take months yet ! The induction furnace thread is located here, and I am still the infamous "Warpspeed".

I find this project particularly fascinating from many aspects, and a real challenge. Many others have attempted to build induction furnaces and failed to get anything usable working. The internet is littered with failed induction furnace projects if you do a search. Being a retired power electronics design engineer gives me a little bit of a head start, and I am sure I can accomplish this.

If I can solve all the design problems, and still keep it fairly simple, it will probably start off a frenzy of home construction activity all over the world. An induction furnace is an excellent way to melt metal without a flame, especially those with very high melting temperatures such as cast iron. But casting aluminium is dead easy, and a very simple and easy to construct propane fired furnace is all you need.

So all flow bench and dyno projects are on hold right now while my furnace project very slowly creeps ahead.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby FPV_GTp » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:15 pm

Hi , any updates Tony on the waterbrake absorber build ?

here is a rotor picture

cheers
Ford Sale - ( Melb , Aust ) - Engine Dynamometer Heenan & Froude G490EH 1,500Bhp@15,000rpm - Ship World Wide
FPV_GTp

Postby FPV_GTp » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:17 pm

just reading a few dyno threads and come accross this one

I tried to post in it and comes back with a message say " it has been disabled "

My question(s) is in relation to this thead ( Home made water brake ) )

Sorry to raise this from the past , but has any actually made a complete abosrber in this forum other than the RMIT tafe one

RRBD how did you dyno project go ?

cheers

PS : how can a " Guest " post without being registered ? just curious
Ford Sale - ( Melb , Aust ) - Engine Dynamometer Heenan & Froude G490EH 1,500Bhp@15,000rpm - Ship World Wide
FPV_GTp

Postby bruce » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:02 pm

When I have a "crash" on the forum it usually involves the member/user database and the user is no longer shows up in the forum database so their name shows up as "guest". A Guest can't post.

Any post that you might find in the old Dyno Forum can not be brought back forward as I had a crash of that part of the forum a few months back, hence the reason we now have the new Dyno forum.

Until I get a new forum setup we have what we have . . . :)

Edited By bruce on 1226441043
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Dyno Discussion II