[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - One of our forum members - I'm taking the liberty of posting this

One of our forum members - I'm taking the liberty of posting this

Place to post some pics of whatca all work on, race, drive etc . . . I personally enjoy seeing what the members here do as a "hobby" and am sure the other members would also be interested. Feel free to post your pics!!

Postby bruce » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:29 pm

One of our forum members (hope he doesn't mind) Tom Covington who won this past week drag racing at Richmond Dragway taken from their forum posted at

Street Strip Winner was Tom Covington, in his unusual STUDEBAKER! Low 13's, and it idles smooth like a stock cam! Not bad at all, considering he was even reported to be leaving in SECOND GEAR!

Edited By bruce on 1173835848
bruce
Site Admin

Postby larrycavan » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:31 pm

Way to go Tom!
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Thomas Vaught » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:18 pm

Have always been a fan of the "Studebakers"

Great Job!

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby 200cfm » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:06 pm

Thanks for the complements. Now you know why I needed to build a bench. This car was a junker I bought on ebay about 18 months ago. Really bought it for parts because I have another Studebaker Avanti that I race. But the wife said it was too cute to cut up and before I know it I am into another project. It came with a 259 V-8 and I pulled that motor and installed a 289 + .060" over 63 Hawk motor. I lost that motor last summer due to a stuck wastegate that took out number 8 cylinder wall. The Lark went a best of 12.40's at 110 on 10 lbs boost on that motor. Current motor is a 289 R-1 Avanti motor that was frozen after years of sitting in Pa. I bought the whole Avanti on ebay for parts. Pulled the R-1 motor and refreshed everything in it except the flat top pistons and rings. Had a set of dish standard bore 289 pistons with low mileage rings that I dropped in the cylinders after home honing. I even recylced the main and rod bearings because they looked fine. I did replace the oil pan gasket though. The heads are factory and I gave the valves a valve hand lapping. Cam is stock R-1 grind 260 duration 17/63/56/24 flat tappet. Lash at .025" and max lift of .400" Power peaks at 5000 and that is where I shift it. Trans is B/W from the old Avanti. Surprised it worked after years of sitting. Gave the trans a new gasket, set the band adjustments, and cleaned the filter. Shifts perfect. Rear is a Ford 8.0" from a Granda. 3.80 ratio.
Boost on this motor is kept at 6 lbs to keep times consistent and not shut off the fuel supply. It will go higher on the boost but I don't have enough fuel flow to keep up with the boost. Carb is Holley 4010 @ 600 cfm. Intake is factory 180 style and exhaust manifolds are same. Bore is 3.565 and stroke on a 289 is 3.625. I have been racing with D start this year to keep 60 ft times more consistent. D start is a second gear start. I am working on a new motor now for the Lark and hope to go genuine powerglide later. Plan to pull the R-1 because of the rareity of these engines from an original Avanti. Here are some photos.

This was last year with the better motor that I lost.

This is the junk Avanti that the R-1 motor and trans came out of. I just got out of Pa in time before a terrible snow storm.

This is the R-1 motor before restoration.

Same R-1 motor after refreshing. I kept it all factory except for the low compression pistons (which are ideal for low boost anyway).

I enjoy motorsports racing and stay with the old stuff because it is just so much simplier to work on.

tom c.
200cfm

Postby Thomas Vaught » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:13 pm

Good Link on studebakers here:

Naturally you know Ted Harbit "Chicken Hawk"
Stude Racer and a guy I know

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby 200cfm » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:12 pm

Yes, I do know Ted. Great guy and friend. We have communicated and shared a lot on these engines. He is into the factory stock muscle car racing now mostly. The world is small and getting smaller.
200cfm

Postby Thomas Vaught » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:52 am

I have been doing "Boosting Work" for 34 years.

The "Boosting Community" is pretty small and the players all seem to know each other through either professional (work) contacts or through racing efforts.

I have been at a few of the Stock muscle car races held each year at Stanton, Michigan and put on by Dan Jensen. Ted attends most years.

Tom V.

ps They are showing a nice studebaker program on the speed channel
(My classic car) right now. 10:00am Sunday morning)
Thomas Vaught

Postby 200cfm » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:15 pm

My new Stude engine is installed and running fine. Made it to the 4th round of eliminations in Mod ET. yesterday and took home some 3rd round win $$$. Best time was 13.503 @ 100. 78. New motor is all NA, no boost. Heads have a nice three angle valve job and the new bench was used to port them and flow the results. Was averaging around 165 cfm calculated readings on the head ports based on Bruces plates. Factory dual plane and iron exhaust manifolds need some flow work.
200cfm

Return to Members Projects