[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - New cast intake manifold

New cast intake manifold

Place to post some pics of whatca all work on, race, drive etc . . . I personally enjoy seeing what the members here do as a "hobby" and am sure the other members would also be interested. Feel free to post your pics!!

Postby jfholm » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:53 pm

Ed you have once again created and area of great interest. Congrats.

A couple of questions I have is did you use regular sand like for a sand box for the kids?

And if you go to this link and see the sand cores they use go to photo gallery you will see a young lady working with the sand cores and the sand looks finer and all one color of yellow. Is it a different finer sand? Does it make any difference? I snuck in a third question ;-)

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby 86rocco1 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:38 pm

Pretty much any fine sharp sand can be used. I used mortar sand from a local building supply place, I ran it through a fine sieve to get rid of the large grains, for the main body of the mold, the sand was mixed with bentonite clay so that it would hold a shape and for the core the same sand was mixed with a sodium silicate binder.

There are a few different types and grades of sand used in castings depending on what's being cast and the process being used. And there are a lot of different type of binders that get mixed with the sand at industrial foundries, the colour of the sand in those pictures is probably due to the particular type of binder they've used. When I was about 8 years old, I took a tour of the local GM engine plant where my dad worked, their sand was white and became pink when mixed with the binder to form the molds. Just about the only parts of that tour I can remember clearly are the foundry and the dyno room, coincidentally (or not), almost 40 years later I'm casting stuff and dynoing engines.
86rocco1

Postby Flash » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:15 pm

In the foundry that i work at the sand was bone white. after the chemicals were added the mold came out brown.

after the mold was made, the sand was put in a shaker and reused.
After so many uses, it was put in an oven for several hours.

Came out of the oven bone white again!

They would mix the white with the reclaimed, to cut down on chemical used.

They had one hole shop that make and reclaimed the sand molds. And another that did the shell molds

Have no idea what the chemicals were, ether then they smelled vary bad after the metal was ported into them :D
Gordon
Flash

Postby 86rocco1 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:47 pm

The sand I use is very old fashioned basically just stuff they dig out of the ground. It has it's limitations but the nice thing is, no nasty toxic substances, it's virtually odor free and it's reusable without any special processing.
86rocco1

Postby Tony » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:22 pm

Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby jsa » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:39 pm

Cheers

John
jsa

Postby Tony » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:53 pm

Yes, but there will be no contraction in the liquid phase, the molten aluminium just flows and continues to fill the void until it solidifies at the melting (eutectic) temperature.

As soon as it has gone completely solid, and cools further, then it contracts with tremendous force. I just cannot pin down a figure for this. Everyone says something a bit different.
Tony

Postby slracer » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:27 pm

Tony, I would think that the difference MAY be due to the alloying materials added to the "pure" AL. Was your value for a particular alloy or just "aluminum"? Some alloys are listed as "NOT castable" while others are "easy to cast" so that may be part of the differences. Just thinking out loud. -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby 86rocco1 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:49 pm

86rocco1

Postby Tony » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:17 pm

Tony

Postby 86rocco1 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:27 pm

86rocco1

Postby 86rocco1 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:13 pm

Here's the manifold on the car, I haven't heard it run myself but I'm told that the throttle response with this manifold is outstanding, that's probably due to the short runners and small plenum.

86rocco1

Postby coulterracn » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:57 pm

That manifold looks awesome on the engine. Looking at the combination I can see why it's responsive. You gave the intake enough length to let the runners exit the plenum and give the intakes a straight shot. You've got about 7 inches of runner length.

Ray
"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here"
coulterracn

Postby 86rocco1 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:45 pm

My primary focus when designing the manifold was to get a good even exit from the plenum and a straight shot into the head, the runner length was about the shortest that would allow for both.
86rocco1

Postby Chippy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:31 pm

Well after knowing about this forum for several years, but not doing anything practical towards making a flowbench I finally join up with a view to doing something more positive (just got myself a decent sized workshop).
Then I come across this great thread and wonder if I shouldn't be making a manifold instead! I'm also teaching myself how to make composite panels, so many potentially interesting projects, but so little time!
I thought some of you might like these articles:

<< Stumbles off to review his future plans>>
Chippy

PreviousNext

Return to Members Projects