[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - New cast intake manifold

New cast intake manifold

Place to post some pics of whatca all work on, race, drive etc . . . I personally enjoy seeing what the members here do as a "hobby" and am sure the other members would also be interested. Feel free to post your pics!!

Postby 86rocco1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:11 pm

I thought I'd share what I'd been working on lately. I made a cast aluminium manifold for my buddy's race car. It's a watercooled VW motor and this manifold will fit a single Weber DCOE side draft carb to it. This is my first attempt at metal casting, I did everything from making the pattern and core to melting and pouring the aluminum. Here's pic of the second one that I cast fresh out of the sand, at the point this picture was taken, the gating had been cut off and the core knocked out, nothing more.

86rocco1

Postby jakesportingservice » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:36 pm

Looks good do you cast the ports also or is it solid ? Now we all need to learn to do this for fun like our flowbench addition isnt enough :D

Keep up the great work

Jake
jakesportingservice

Postby 86rocco1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:52 pm

The ports are cast in there too, very slightly undersized so there's bit of material there for to allow for port matching etc.
86rocco1

Postby jfholm » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:09 pm

Ed,
That really looks great. Lots of effort there. Can we see the ports? I would love to see that part also.

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby bruce » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:15 pm

Heck lets see pictures of the whole process?

Great project!!
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 86rocco1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:45 pm

Sure, a short web page I put together mainly for the benefit of the guys over on the detailing this project. You can see the shape of the ports and plenum but looking at the core.
86rocco1

Postby slracer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:03 am

Ed, Is the "gassing" process something you can explain a bit? I did some casting in 8th-9th grade (about 52 years ago) but don't remember anything like that. Of course, they were simple solid items (and I don't remember much at all from 52 years ago)! :p :p

Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby Flash » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:19 am

I used to work in a bronze foundry, so i know vary well what you went threw to come up with a end product.

We did sand and shell molds. Poured bronze, brass, aluminum. a little silver and gold as well.

Was a vary interesting job...........sometime i wish i was still there, just to take advantage of things like that! :)
Gordon
Flash

Postby 86rocco1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:11 am

86rocco1

Postby blaktopr » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:27 pm

Pretty cool. I will be checking out that site. I been wondering about an intake for myself.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby slracer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:13 pm

That's really neat! Can I assume the CO2 from my wire welder would work? I may make some giant "spitballs"! -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby 86rocco1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:34 pm

That'll work fine. Even CO2 in the air work, it just takes a lot longer.
86rocco1

Postby MrHijet » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:08 am

Wow! It is already a great result what you made there. How long have you worked on it (designing and making the wooden parts till you had the chance to cast the first prototype) ?

Cheers,

Daniel
MrHijet

Postby bruce » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:20 am

Did you put the core box on the flowbench and check it out ??? :D
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 86rocco1 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:02 pm

Working an hour or two one evening a week or so, it took a couple months to get from basic design to casting.

I did actually think about flowing a core box but that would have required making an extra core box with a couple of small modification specifically for that purpose. That does raise an interesting question, the core box is about 2% larger in each dimension than the actual cavity in the casting to compensate for the metal shrinkage, would this impact the result of a flow test, bearing in mind that the main interest in flowing the core box would have been to check and see if the flow is balanced from one port to the next?
86rocco1

Next

Return to Members Projects