[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Port Molds of Cylinder Heads

Port Molds of Cylinder Heads

Place to post some pics of whatca all work on, race, drive etc . . . I personally enjoy seeing what the members here do as a "hobby" and am sure the other members would also be interested. Feel free to post your pics!!

Postby 106-1194218389 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:11 pm

I was able to get some port molds pulled today from my Dart 180 cc Iron Eagle heads. The mold on the top will always be the port that I have ported and the mold on the bottom is the unport intake port. Both ports are pointingg in the same direction. If you really study them you will see what I have done. It has made a very big difference in flow and velocity. I used the polyurethane RTV mold making kit from Tap Plastics. I received a 16 oz can of part A and a 16 oz can of part B, a can of 2300 mold release and a bunch of the mixing-measuring cups. With $10 shipping it came to $62.00 total. I used about a third of the stuff to do these 2 ports. 193.5 cc in one port and 174 cc in the other. The head that was ported and smooth popped right out no problem but the one that was still rough cast took some doing. Here are the pictures.

John

106-1194218389

Postby bruce » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:16 am

John, they came out NICE!!!
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 86rocco1 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:34 am

Nice indeed!

While we're on the topic of port molds, does anyone have any thoughts as to the best way to make a port mold of a multi-valve head? I'm thinking a two part mold would probably be required in order to be able to extract the mold rubber from the port.
86rocco1

Postby slracer » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:35 pm

John, I don't usually think of urethane as "squishy", but it must be somewhat soft to be able to remove it from the port. Can you post a pic of a mold being squeezed? To be honest, the TAP "Shore A 30" hardness doesn't mean a thing to me! :p Thanks, Doug

Ignore this request as I just watched the video on the TAP website. It looks to be pretty soft! From the price you quoted, it looks like you bought the 1 quart kit?
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby 106-1194218389 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:04 pm

106-1194218389

Postby 106-1194218389 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:26 pm

106-1194218389

Postby MTSJohn » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:24 am

Nice job

Not aware anyone made a kit to do that ...I use red permatex out of the caulking gun tube and its a pita to get out
MTSJohn

Postby 106-1194218389 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:40 am

106-1194218389

Postby blaktopr » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:41 pm

Just want to add, the USComposites 74-30 is cheaper and A&B are a quart each. 2 molds, and still have a little over half left of each.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby maxracesoftware » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:08 am

maxracesoftware

Postby 106-1194218389 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:32 pm

106-1194218389

Postby blaktopr » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:27 pm

The instructions say that both parts react with atmospheric moisture and should be used up soon or buy their dry air gas to spray in there to get it out. Just squeeze the bottle so the liquid comes up to the top and cap it with both caps. (comes with 2 per bottle)

Chris.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Return to Members Projects