[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Fiero Performance "Boost"

Fiero Performance "Boost"

Place to post some pics of whatca all work on, race, drive etc . . . I personally enjoy seeing what the members here do as a "hobby" and am sure the other members would also be interested. Feel free to post your pics!!

Postby bruce » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:39 am

In a past post I was discussing my desire to get my old 84 Fiero back on the road with it's 2.5L with possible modifications. I've had some time to think this through and I'm now leaning towards a 3800 V6 Supercharged or NA engine swap instead.

I have a friend that did this engine swap a few years ago and the thing is a rocket! His engine swap looks factory and you'd swear it came from the factory that way.

My Fiero is a "beater" and has seen better days so I'm not building a show car just something fun (read as: "sleeper") to take out and drive for right now and then maybe as time and $$$'s dictate making a "nice" car out of it. The car already has lowered suspension and I have a set of 16" rims to install to replace the 14" ones that are now on it so that cost is already done.

I've pretty much decided that my tractor hobby is a bottomless pit for $$$'s and listening to you all talk about cars has got me rev'ed up!! I'll probably sell out my tractor(s) and parts to finance this project.

It's not going to be a 30, 60 or 90day project but, I'm going to try and document it along the way with pics here on the forum.

I'll have to do alot of scrounging in the junkyard . . . last time I did this I came home with my dyno power absorber!

Edited By bruce on 1247409687
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Flash » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:12 am

sounds like a lot of fun!

Looking forward to to pic's and the project! :cool:
Gordon
Flash

Postby jfholm » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:25 pm

Bruce,
Another engine to think about is the 4.3l Chevy V6. They were plentiful in a lot of vans and trucks. They have all the same advantages that a small block Chevy has. Also lots of speed parts available. Plus 30 cid more

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby bruce » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:39 pm

I had a 4.3 in my old Chevy S10. The 3800 is almost a drop in for the Fiero, I'd like a SC engine but might just settle for a NA engine due to costs and availability. I could pickup a second NA top end to play with on the flowbench. Lots of Fieros have had this engine swap so there is plenty of support for a newbee like myself on the net.

Last time I was at my local junkyard there was at least 10 3800 NA's there. The local yard would allow me to have the whole car to strip out what I need (for one money) and bring it back when I'm done so this is an advantage.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby coulterracn » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:15 pm

Don't forget the 3800 has a big brother, 252 cubic inches of Buick V6. I think it's a 4.2L.
"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here"
coulterracn

Postby jfholm » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:17 pm

Yes that is an advantage. If it has been done and you do not have to trail blaze too much that is also a big advantage. I used to do Buick V6 heads for a drag racer. They can be made to run very hard also.

Aren't there also a lot of speed parts available for the 3800?

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby jfholm » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:24 pm

Yeah,
you can still get an intake for them:
This is an Edelbrock for 79 up even fire
jfholm

Postby bruce » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:03 pm

Well . . . changed my mind again, found an 85 GT V6 2.8L 4spd on Craigslist and I'm picking it up on Friday. It's not "cherry" but it runs and will need some TLC.

I plan on playing with it for a while and then looking at the 3800SC swap sometime down the road on this car.

My old 84 was just to beat to actually think it was worth upgrading it.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby jfholm » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:49 pm

That'll work! :D I have that mind problem also.

John
jfholm

Postby slracer » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:31 pm

Bruce, What did you change your mind to? I was watching the deer in the front yard last week and let my mind wander. Has anybody seen it? It didn't come back! :(

What I have been doing the last 6 weeks is taking a class at the local Univ. on Web site design. It's been totally online and actually a bit of fun. I put together a site for my wife, but had to take all the "real" names and addresses out as it was a class project. If you are interested in my first attempt:

The wife hasn't finished with the writeups and pricing info so I posted a few blah, blah and made up some prices as I had a class deadline. I will put the actual site online in September (after I go to western Utah and lick the ground - it's all white and salty there). This year is supposed to be another record buster at Bonneville so drop by if you can! -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby jfholm » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:49 pm

[color=#000000]BTW - weather forecast for next week thru August 8th at Bonneville Salt Flats Highs 88
jfholm

Postby slracer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:37 am

John, A full moon at El Mirage has all the kids riding their dirt bikes all night long and trying out the track. At Bonneville, access is controlled so that won't happen but I can imagine someone out there getting lost! It is actually easy to do as when some distance out there are no reference points. We like to tell the rookies that it will be 102*F today, in the shade. Best shade is in town! :D -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby jfholm » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:42 am

about getting lost and trying to get across the Salt Flats, read about the Donnor Party. Very sad but interesting.

John
jfholm

Postby bruce » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:55 pm

Here's a picture of my "mid-life crisis" as my wife calls it!

It needs work (small things here and there) but will be fun to play with as I get the time . . .
bruce
Site Admin

Postby jfholm » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:11 pm

If that is the actual car you are getting it is really nice! I always loved the looks of the Fiero. I was on ebay yesterday and saw one with a kit on it and it was BUTT ugly - I was going to send you the link. I always wondered why someone would take a really nice looking car and put a kit like that one on it. ???

John
jfholm

Next

Return to Members Projects