[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Need some help

Need some help

Place to post some pics of whatca all work on, race, drive etc . . . I personally enjoy seeing what the members here do as a "hobby" and am sure the other members would also be interested. Feel free to post your pics!!

Postby bruce » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:36 pm

Not really a project per say but I figured this was a good place to ask a question for some possible help. Since this forum has a varied racing membership I was wondering if someone out there could offer some help looking for some parts I need.

I'm looking for some valve springs with an overall length of approx 2" a minor inside dia of .625", outside dia is flexible and will probably vary with spring rates . . . now the fun part, I have no idea the spring rate I am looking for hence the reason I am looking at all the various motor applications represented on this forum. If it falls within my basic specs I can make it work with shims or custom machined parts.

I want to play with spring rates on my tractor engines with different cam profiles. I'm not looking for new springs and would "play" with someone's discards, I will test spring rates and inspect springs before use. My engine gets torn down throughout a season for inspection and parts replacement if need be.

I do run Ti valves (machined from larger valve blanks) and would also be looking for Ti "discards" of valves, retainers, keepers etc.

So if anyone can offer any parts help give me a shout and we'll work out a deal :)

This would be my toy of choice . . .

Kinda hard to read what it says on the back:

"Everyone Elses Junk"

so this will give you an understanding of why I'm asking . . .

Edited By bruce on 1203255603
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 86rocco1 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:37 am

I've got a few different springs kicking around that I could measure up for you, they're the inner springs from automotive dual spring sets. What sort of installed height are you looking at and how much lift?
86rocco1

Postby bruce » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:35 am

I'll see if I can get a basic idea of an installed height today sometime. I can basically change this to match the springs. I cut my valve stems to length and remachine new keeper grooves, I also machine my retainers out of alum and I can shim under the spring. So I can "move things around". My max cam lift is .340" springs should not be much wider than 1-1/2"

Sorry, I don't have actual firm dimensions right now on any of this. I have some old notes here somewhere but I'm not sure where I filed them . . . er should say not sure which pile they are on!

I do have a set of Chevy inner springs and they have to much pressure. I don't think anything over 75#'s is required. I'll track down my old notes sometime. This is not a project I need right now but just want to get the ball rolling on some of my own engine work. My spring test pressure rig has been a bathroom scale and my drill press so it's not been an exacting science to say the least.

I have flowbench parts and PTS flowbench project work to keep me busy right now but do like to keep my mind active on other things also.

Thanks!
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 200cfm » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:53 pm

Bruce, a Studebaker valve spring is close. Total length is 2.500" though. Install height is 2.031" and gives 75 lbs on the seat if 9 coils and 55# on seat if 10 coils. (two versions). 160 lbs off seat on lift of .400" or 1.631" coil compression or 115 lbs off seat at 1.672" spring compression. Width is 1.240". Another spring gives 90 and 185 on and off seat lbs at about the same lift. Same specs. I have some old springs here if you want to try one.

Just might make that tractor do a wheelie!!!!
200cfm

Postby 86rocco1 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:18 pm

Hi Bruce,
The springs I've got at home are a lot shorter than I remembered, they're only 1.327" long, the I.D. is 0.620" and the O.D. is 0.832". I see what else I can scare up.
86rocco1

Postby bruce » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:59 pm

My current installed height is around 1.600", as I said earlier I can change this dimension some to suit seat pressures.

PS I have no problems pulling wheelies with this tractor, it's just dragging that big old heavy sled 200' that kicks my ass :D

Edited By bruce on 1203285721
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 86rocco1 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:48 pm

BTW, I measure the spring rate on those springs, it's 92 lbs/in
86rocco1

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:06 pm

Bruce, can the ID go to .720?

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby bruce » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:19 pm

No dimension is set in stone other than the minor ID, I would have to machine the valve guide down. Which would not a big problem. I can make or modify any parts to fit my application.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:12 pm

Bruce,

Did some testing in the shop, Harley EVO/TC stock inner spring is as follows.

Uncommpressed Height 2.0
ID .707
OD .975
Pressure at 1.600 +- 55-60 # Low on my scale so sensativity is ???

Mild performance Haley EVO Spring is
Uncommpressed Height 2.250
ID .750
OD .1.025
Pressure at 1.600 +- 75# Low on my scale so sensativity is ???

Now this is close, not surprising as they are both Tractor Motors. :p

Also What valve stem size do you use?
49-1183904562

Postby bruce » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:22 pm

Hey those sound like something to try!

Well I can use most any stem diameter, I have some necked down 11/32 Ti valves in the engine right now. I have tested 5/16 and 7mm stems on the bench and saw no flow changes. The 7mm use a round lock groove keeper (I already have 8 sets) I machine my own retainers so I can match most anything. I'll probably machine up a set of 7mm valves and change the guides over. I machine my own guides.

I'm pretty much open to any R&D parts that might come along, as my tractor name states . . . "Everyone Else's Junk" :D
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:58 pm

Ok;

I will dig through the shop and come up with some inner set for you, Gofaster and WFOLarry might also have somthing to add now that we are close.

Rick.
49-1183904562

Postby bruce » Fri May 02, 2008 6:11 pm

Bringing this post back alive . . . did anyone happen to find any springs laying around they would want to part with?
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Otto » Fri May 02, 2008 7:52 pm

i have some take out triple stuff the middle spring
CB .900
135 LBs @ 1.5"
od 1.225
ID .895
free length 2.425
90 @ 1.75
the inner that goes with
cb 1.042
70lbs @ 1.5
od .900
id .651
free lenght 2.3
combined 200 @ 1.5

I know you don't want the outer
ho many ya want??

1.042+.60+.340 min 1.440
Otto

just another one man show
workin to play
Otto

Postby bruce » Fri May 02, 2008 9:19 pm

bruce
Site Admin

Next

Return to Members Projects