[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Porting a Chy 340/360 head.

Porting a Chy 340/360 head.

Place to post some pics of whatca all work on, race, drive etc . . . I personally enjoy seeing what the members here do as a "hobby" and am sure the other members would also be interested. Feel free to post your pics!!

Postby Malvin » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:03 am

One more Flash

This a cut out so you can see the bowl & the long side of runner
Malvin

Postby Malvin » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:15 am

I forgot this one
Malvin

Postby jfholm » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:10 pm

It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby Flash » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:49 pm

Gordon
Flash

Postby coulterracn » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:02 pm

I would open the area around the valve guide boss like shown in Malvin's pictures, then shape the short side radius to help air flow accross the floor. As we have already learned it's hard to slow the air speed at the short side radius but you can remove material to help direct the flow.
Ray
"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here"
coulterracn

Postby Malvin » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:58 pm

[color=#000000]Flash wrote:

[QUOTEMalvin, when did the power start to come one, with then heads.........What was the cam you ran...and was it hyd or machanical?[/quote]

It started about 2500 RPM was done at 6100 RPM we used a soild flat tap camshaft UltraDyyne I degreed the cam in at 104
Malvin

Postby Malvin » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:48 pm

Coulterracn wrote:

[QUOTE then shape the short side radius to help air flow accross the floor. As we have already learned it's hard to slow the air speed at the short side radius but you can remove material to help direct the flow.[/quote]

This is true this was the first SBM heads I ported I did raise
the roof .100 first went all the way back to the guide it did slow the air speed down a little but it really started when I was working the floor left to right right where the floor turns up the wall on both sides be care full right there it gets thin there real quick in these areas.

I hope explain this so you understand.
I am still learning & really enjoy it!!

Malvin :)
Malvin

Postby jfholm » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:07 am

Gordon,
I would build the heads for where you are going to run them. Believe PipeMax.

I checked a set of heads for my cousin. Brodix IK200 and I asked him "Where is your peak HP going to be?" He said 7500 rpm. I figured it all out in PipeMax and told him where to set his CSA size wise and told him to get it as close to the valve as possible. He did a nice job on the heads. Opened them way up at the pushrod pinch like they should have. Turned out to be great heads. Then he decides to only run a 3000 rpm converter with no trans brake. He footbrakes it out of the hole at 2500 rpm. Guess what? He complains it's lazy out of the hole but really pulls hard on the top end. Car runs 120 mph in the 1/4 mile but is about .5 second too slow. This car needs a 5000 rpm converter with a transbrake and then it would run.

So make sure you build the whole combination.

Good luck! Your doing great!

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby Flash » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:42 am

Gordon
Flash

Postby Malvin » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:52 am

Flash wrote:

[QUOTE Malvin, how much did you take out of the ssr that picture shows a lot of meat there to take a grinder too.

I did not take alot out of there right were it turns off the ssr on
to the wall it is thinner there water runs right up around there I
just kep taking a little at a time.

[QUOTE Were does the water go ofter it pass through the ssr? Does it run all the way around seat area? or does it run around the bowl area.

I tired to pass a small peice of wire through there I could only
get it to go about 3/4 the way around the intake bowl.

The metal there is not as thick as it looks in the pictures.

Malvin

Postby jfholm » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:14 pm

jfholm

Postby Flash » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:59 pm

[color=#000000][quote]Some things you can do to enhance the "3000" rpm area would be small diameter headers. 180
Gordon
Flash

Postby Malvin » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:46 pm

Flash just dont get greedy in that area & you will be OK. :)

I have read alot about Pipe Max is it easy to use?

Malvin

Postby Flash » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:22 pm

Gordon
Flash

Postby jfholm » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:49 pm

Flash,
We'll always be fast over the SSR when you have heads like you and I are using. Just the nature of the beast. I think mine are about 350 fps over the SSR but that is OK. You probably are more concerned with the average fps of the port going down the centerline of the port.

Big headers can really hurt your throttle response on a street car. Now if you have 4.11 or 4.56 gears then you might get away with it. For the street, and I know a lot of people will argue with me, I would probably never use a single plane anymore. For HP Street it is really hard to beat the Edelbrock Performer RPM dual plane. Most test show the RPM manifold out horsepowering the Victor Jr. all the way to 6000 rpm. And in the mid-range 3500 - 4500 you will usually see 15 - 20 more HP with the Performer RPM over the Victor Jr.

John
jfholm

PreviousNext

Return to Members Projects