Ametek speed control - what kind of controller

A place to discuss air movers, blowers, vacuum motors etc . . . this is a closed forum only open to members

Postby GT6Steve » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:29 pm

Can anyone say what type of speed control is appropriate for the Ametek vacuum motors? I don't know what kind of motors they are but I'm sure they're AC. Thanks in advance, Steve
GT6Steve

Postby 86rocco » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:35 pm

They're a "universal" type motor which I think means they can operate on either AC or DC at any rate they have brushes and a commutator. For speed control, it's recommended to use some type of voltage control like a variac, dimmer switch type controller work as well but motor longevity is better with a variac.
86rocco

Postby Tony » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:08 pm

Yup, all you need is to adjust the supply voltage up and down, and a variac is the simplest and most reliable way to do that.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby GT6Steve » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:22 pm

Well, I'm glad to hear that. I'm thinking I can build a simple depression control with pieces available to me. I can get a differential pressure transducer easily enough and a variable voltage source. The trick will be the controller to interface the two. By the time I'm done the off the shelf pieces may seem a bargain.

And before that is worthy I would be better advised to buy one of bruces 180 pitots! :p
GT6Steve

Postby 115-1172523331 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:30 am

Hi Steve, I bought a Router Speed Control from Harbor Freight that I have tested, but as yet my bench is incomplete, so can't say I have used it any. Their part number is 43060, and it is currently on sale for $9.99! It is good for 15 amps and seems to work as required for controlling the motor speed of my "surplus center" type motors. Website is:

harborfreight.com

in case you aren't familiar with them. Search using the part number. Good luck!

Doug
115-1172523331

Return to Air Movers